Author Topic: Sarah Barden born 1771 Mountfield  (Read 458 times)

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Barden born 1771 Mountfield
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 13 June 23 16:57 BST (UK) »
Senior or junior? Buried at Mountfield, 9 Jan 1807?
Form of proceeding at an inquest, including the words to be spoken by the coroner, in the case of Thomas Barden, hundred of Battle
Date: 5 Jan 1807
https://www.thekeep.info/collections/getrecord/GB179_SHE_2_6_1_1

This has got me confused.  If Thomas Sr. died in 1807, he would have been 95 years old.  Possible, but seems unlikely, and with that advanced age, I would have expected it to have been noted in the burial record.  There was a Thomas buried in Burwash in 1790 and I assumed it was Thomas Sr. as Thomas Jr. lived in Mountfield/Battle. 
Are these records available online?

Hi
What you say makes perfect sense, I am sure you are right. Thomas Barden makes his will in March in 1790, and the burial at Burwash was in April. But, for some reason, his will was not proved until much later.
So, if the son was dead when Thomas senior made that will, I don't know who the one who was buried in Mountfield in 1807 was! Presumably then there was an inquest, but that record is from a solicitor in  Battle, and only available at The Keep.

Sorry for confusing you. It's me that was confused!
It could have been your Sarah who had the banns called, but I am not sure there was a marriage to James Isted. So what happened to her is still up in the air, I'm afraid. But we know she must have been dead when her grandfather's will was finally proved.
Jon

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Barden born 1771 Mountfield
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 13 June 23 21:20 BST (UK) »
Jon, I confuse easily!  No worries.
I do have a Thomas Barden, brother of my ancestor John Barden who lived in Burwash (and the elusive Sarah), for whom I have not found a death date.  He married Elizabeth Cressingham in Battle in 1792, he would have only been going on 20, but it is possible, given the location.  I have assigned a few daughters to him and Elizabeth but not entirely sure of the accuracy.  It might be the inquest was for him in 1807.
Went to the Lewes record office decades ago, with my mother, unlikely I will get to the Keep.  My mother attended the girl's school in Lewes as a humble scholarship student from Heathfield.