Author Topic: Can anyone please help me extend my Irish tree?  (Read 1929 times)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone please help me extend my Irish tree?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 14 June 23 08:42 BST (UK) »
Yes, they would.

Possibly Hennighan - (with variation) but I can only see Patrick in 1864 - if that is correct.

There is a marriage
10th June 1849 Muintervarra, Cork
Tom Sullivan and Anne Hennigan

A birth
25th October 1857, Bantry
James Sullivan with parents Thomas Sullivan and Anne Hennigan.

I was going to wait for Guy to respond, as I think he may have looked at that family already with the Woolwich connection.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GuyMassey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 14 June 23 20:44 BST (UK) »
Apologies one and all for being slow to respond, my wife is keeping me very busy and I have not had a chance to digest the information that has been posted. She's working tomorrow so hopefully I can get some uninterrupted me time! lol I have a lot of information about Mary's life in Woolwich following her husband James's tragic death. I have all the gruesome details about the accident, including Coroner's and newspaper reports.
Massey (London, Woking, Teignmouth), Massie (Banff, Aberdeen - Scotland) Sullivan, O'Sullivan (Kanturk Ireland, London, Woolwich) Mactaggart (Montrose, Angus, Scotland, Singapore), Thornhill (Surrey), Lyall, Walsh, Linehan, Holland, Langton, Armstrong.

Offline GuyMassey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 15 June 23 19:27 BST (UK) »
Baptism 12th September 1858 Kanturk
Julia - parents Dan Walsh and Sarah Linehan

https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000634183#page/45/mode/1up
Thank you for your help, I had already found those records, but am finding it difficult to get back further.
Massey (London, Woking, Teignmouth), Massie (Banff, Aberdeen - Scotland) Sullivan, O'Sullivan (Kanturk Ireland, London, Woolwich) Mactaggart (Montrose, Angus, Scotland, Singapore), Thornhill (Surrey), Lyall, Walsh, Linehan, Holland, Langton, Armstrong.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 15 June 23 19:31 BST (UK) »
I thought you may have some records but you didn’t mention Sarah Walsh being in England.
How do you know James’ mother was Ann? (I asked this earlier).

Offline GuyMassey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 17 June 23 17:27 BST (UK) »
Firstly, thank you everyone for your useful suggestions. Well done Shanreagh for remembering my old post. I lost my wife and father within a month of each other a few years ago, and put down my family history. Having remarried I have only just had the courage to pick is up again! Now I'm dusting off my braincells! Thank you for reminding me that Sally comes from Sarah.
Athacliath62 I had searched those Kanturk records that I could find, and knew about Bluepool, but thank you for confirming its location. Heywood, you seem to have found a number of names that I hadn't. Who was Dan Walsh?  Thank you for finding James's DOB, I had him as abt. 1859, I didn't know about Catherine. I do not know whether the sponsor Julia Walsh is related, and if so how?
Wexflyer, I don't know what Thomas Sullivan and John Walsh did for a living.
Heywood, I know a lot about Minnie (Mary) and James's family. I can't now find the reference that provided Ann as a name for his mother. She was known to be living with James in Woolwich, and dependent on him at the time of his death. Source - The Kentish Independent 05-02-1904, I quote: "To his Worship the Mayor of Woolwich.
Sir, - Last week the inhabitants of Woolwich were shocked to hear that another unfortunate and unforeseen accident had occurred in the Royal Arsenal, this time in the Carriage Department, by which one poor fellow, James Sullivan by name, lost his life. He leaves a widow and eight children, the eldest 16 years of age, the youngest a baby of five months old and in addition to these, his aged mother was dependent on h is earnings." The baby mentioned was my Grandmother Therese. Following the death of James, the family adopted the O' prefix, which is customary on the death of a husband. I attach the descendants of Ann and Thomas as far as my own father, Barry.
So once again thank you all. I really don't know how I can force my way back any further with this Irish connection as has been mentioned, Sullivan is a very common name in Ireland, and I can't seem to find any earlier reference to this family. Thomas and Patrick seem to be my best next move. My early notes read "Thomas and Ann's son James was born in Ireland in Abt 1859, their next son Thomas was born in Woolwich, Kent in Abt 1861. It is reasonable to assume that the family left Ireland in about 1860, probably as a result of the Potato Famine 1845-1852."

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 17 June 23 17:35 BST (UK) »
So this family might be your family?

How do you know james’ mother’s name was Ann?
I can’t bring this family up on Family Search but have you looked at this family?
Thomas and Ann’s birth years fit with yours on your diagram so perhaps you already have them.

1871 785 /7/7
Woolwich
Thomas Sullivan 55 yrs
Ann  52 yrs
Jeremiah 21 yrs
James 13 yrs
Thomas 10 yrs b England
Patrick 7 yrs b England

Who were the witnesses to the Sullivan/Walsh marriage and are there addresses for James and Mary?

**With regard to ‘Dan Walsh’ - that’s what the entry has - It might be an error in the records.

If I recall, Sarah’s mother is with the family on a census?

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 17 June 23 17:44 BST (UK) »

But you have specific details of the marriage of James Sullivan and Mary Walsh, in 1887.
The civil registration for that marriage should have not just their father's names, but also their occupations. Did you not obtain a copy of the registration?

Similarly, a the registration of any of Thomas Sullivan's children born in England will have his wife's name.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline GuyMassey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 17 June 23 19:50 BST (UK) »

But you have specific details of the marriage of James Sullivan and Mary Walsh, in 1887.
The civil registration for that marriage should have not just their father's names, but also their occupations. Did you not obtain a copy of the registration?

Similarly, a the registration of any of Thomas Sullivan's children born in England will have his wife's name.

The marriage certificate does not have any of those details on it (see the attached). I assumed that this being the original had all the detail available on it.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 17 June 23 19:59 BST (UK) »

The marriage certificate does not have any of those details on it (see the attached). I assumed that this being the original had all the detail available on it.

No, not that! That is a church register record. I am referring to the Civil Registration record.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area