Author Topic: Lathams of Staffordshire 1800's  (Read 394 times)

Offline ASmithy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lathams of Staffordshire 1800's
« on: Thursday 15 June 23 10:34 BST (UK) »
Dear Rootschatters.

I am now trying to work on my Latham family from Staffordshire and I am slightly stuck.

I believe I have the correct information for William Latham, but I would like someone to try and confirm my findings and to see whether or not I could go further back on his line.

The information I have found for William Latham from Tatenhill, Staffordshire with an estimated birth year of 1825, are as followed.
The 1881 Census has him born in Tufnell, Staffordshire? Where his wife Eliza (maiden name Westwood, Previous marriage name Mitchell) and many children; Lizzie, Mary Ann, Albert, and George are living with Eliza's other children; William, Thomas, and Joseph Mitchell in Burntwood, Staffordshire.
In the 1891 Census, he is still living in Burntwood, Staffordshire, with his wife Eliza, and children Albert, George Henry, and Rosa Ann. However, his birthplace is not Burntwood, Staffordshire.

Going back in time, it looks like he married Eliza Mitchell on 15 Sep 1867 in Burntwood, Staffordshire. He gives his fathers name as Thomas Latham.

I am unsure, but there is a 1861 Census where a William Latham born in Tatenhill, Staffordshire is living in Burton upon Trent with a wife called Elizabeth and 2 children; Margaret and Emma. I am unsure if this is the right path to go down though.
With this person, if it is the same William Latham as mine. In the 1851 Census, he is living with his wife in Burton on Trent with his wife, Eliza and children; Elizabeth, Margaret and Ann. The issue here, is the Census record states that he is from Dean, Staffordshire?

My question is, are all these the same person and why has so many different birthplaces been given, such as Burntwood, Tatenhill, Tufnell and Dean for one person.

Would someone be able to help me with trying to go through the correct information, please? Or see if I am missing anything out in finding whether it is two different families, please.

My research is from his son, George Henry Latham. I am comfortable with knowing about Eliza Westwood's side, however, just want to focus on the Latham side of things at the moment as I have kind of stumbled on this side. 

Kindest Regards

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Lathams of Staffordshire 1800's
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 June 23 10:54 BST (UK) »
WILLIAM Latham bapt 30 Jan 1825, St Michael and All Angels, Tatenhill
Parents THOMAS/ELIZABETH
Abode Tatenhill Common
Father a Labourer

Siblings Bapts;
JAMES 02 Jun 1811
SARAH 11 Apr 1813
ANN 20 Aug 1815
THOMAS 22 Sep 1818
JANE 18 May 1820

1851 Census has a Daug Margaret c 1847

LATHAM, MARGARET mmn    GOULD 
GRO Reference: 1848  M Quarter in BURTON UPON TRENT UNION  Volume 17  Page 5

1861 William is widowed youngest Daug EMMA 1853 who has mmn as Gould on GRO also

FreeBMD has a 1844 Marriage, William LATHAM/Eliza GOULD on same page

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline ASmithy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 June 23 11:02 BST (UK) »
WILLIAM Latham bapt 30 Jan 1825, St Michael and All Angels, Tatenhill
Parents THOMAS/ELIZABETH
Abode Tatenhill Common
Father a Labourer

Thank you, do you think that the 1881 Census where he claims to be from Tufell? (maybe a transcribe error?) along with the 1891 Census where he says he is from Burntwood is the same person associated with the baptism you found? It does match the father's name on the Marriage record with Eliza Mitchell (was Westwood) in 1867, which was Thomas.

What would be the chances of another William Latham with a father called Thomas from Burntwood and its surrounding areas?

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 June 23 11:05 BST (UK) »
Was he widowed on the 1867 Marriage?

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 June 23 11:07 BST (UK) »
1881 Daug Emma is with him and new Wife and her children.

Offline ASmithy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 June 23 11:08 BST (UK) »
Was he widowed on the 1867 Marriage?

On the 1867 Marriage, I am unsure if he is a widow as no image is attached, however, it does say he was previously married.
Thank you for helping me

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 June 23 11:11 BST (UK) »
Your welcome.

So you dont have the actual M/C from 1867?

1871 it says he is born Tetnall on Anc, yes think it should be Tatenhill

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 15 June 23 11:12 BST (UK) »
Good Morning
Lets see if we can help.
It is odd that he gives his birthplace as two different places but it does depend usually how close he is living to his birthplace.Somewhere born in Wallasey living in London might say he was from Liverpool  but if he was in Liverpool may say Wallasey or Birkenhead. So is Dean a little hamlet near Burton?
Giving the same place as he is living asa birth place is just down to how the question is asked and how accurate the Enumerator was.

It does look like the same man with  mostly the same children on the 2 censuses 1851 and 1861.

His marriage at Christ Church Burntwood in 1867 does say he is a widower so no problem with a first marriage.
His first marriage at Marston on dove 7th Oct 1844 is lacking parents for both .Eliza Gould the bride over 21 of that parish and William age 19 lab from Burton on Trent.
Crucially he signs his name with a cross as on the second marriage.Witnesses James and Sarah Latham.

A Baptism for William s of Thomas and Elizabeth Latham lab 30 Jan 1825 at Tatenhill St Micheal fits nicely.
siblings James 2.6.1811,Sarah 11.4.1813,An 20.8.1815,Thomas 20.9.1818,Jane 18.5.1820.
So a James and Sarah there for the first wedding certificate.
It looks like Eliza died Mar qtr 1860 Burton on Trent.Age 39 years.
With first wife his children where -Jane Dec 1846,Margaret Mar 1848,Ann Dec 1850,Emma Sep 1853.

William was buried at Christ Church 27th April 1902 age 77
I was typing while there were other replies so sorry for duplications

ps marriage for parents 22.10.1810 Thomas Latham and Elizabeth Ashmore  Tickenhall,Derbyshire

Ciderdrinker

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 15 June 23 11:15 BST (UK) »
Have you used FreeREG A Smithy

The Marriage of William to Eliza is on there, yes he is widowed, Father THOMAS a Labourer
15 Sep 1867 Burntwood

www.freereg.org.uk

Where I got the bapts from also :)