Author Topic: John Mcguire died 1880 in Springfield Sangamon Illinois.  (Read 510 times)

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: John Mcguire died 1880 in Springfield Sangamon Illinois.
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 17 June 23 15:26 BST (UK) »
Mary Maguire is not with either daughter in 1910.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 17 June 23 16:40 BST (UK) »
I'm not finding anything else. Some thoughts.
1. Not likely, but John could have died in Philadelphia. - but I'm not finding him.
2. There are too many Mary Maguires dying in Philadelphia from 1900 to 1910 to sort out. Most of the records don't have an address included.
3. Mary said she had been married 6 years and had two children. So she married about 1873 and John died about 1879. - a real bonus of information there, by the way. I haven't seen too many census records that give a widow's time being married.
4. The addresses on Callowhill in an earlier post could have been a coincidence. They were many years apart.

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 17 June 23 16:42 BST (UK) »
1864 Philadelphia Directory (there may be other years as well)
James Maguire, drayman, 1831 Callowhill    and
John Maguire, drayman, 1936 Buttonwood
Edward Maguire, laborer, r 1921 Buttonwood
William Maguire, dealer, 1930 Buttonwood

There were over 70 Maguires on the page, so perhaps there is no connection between the above.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline dfk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 17 June 23 22:32 BST (UK) »
Spot on, thank you both oldohiohome and lisa in california, what you have for both daughters is correct and thanks for the info about there mothers info regards the census record, i am was thinking that john and mary had only the two children, this is confirmed now, so i had a look around for possiable deaths for john about the same time as the birth of the last daughter and the census record, also to note that the marriage of daughter mary to walter partridge shows the mother giving consent for the daughter to marry and the record states she is widow at this time in 1896, i have found a site called genealogybank that seems to have a record/obituary from a newspaer called the "Daily illinois state register" for a john mcguire in 1880 in illinois.
i dont have a sub for that site but am trying to find the paper, no luck yet unless anyone reading this has the ability to see it.
The answer as to who john mcguire/maguire was may be in that site or in another record yet to be found.
My main reason for researching him is because of a DNA brickwall i have going back to my grandfather, trying to find who his father was, i have many DNA matches to the names mcguire/maguire and my best matches lead back to both daughters of john and mary, at a best guess i belive that john is a sibbling of my unknown great grand parent.also to note no one that i have seen can confirm when Mary died, one person had her death in 1907 but i cant confirm this, perhaps she married again and her records are under a different name.
Kearns
Whittaker
Baxter
Birchenough
Longworth
Southern
Astles

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 17 June 23 23:54 BST (UK) »

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 18 June 23 00:11 BST (UK) »
You can see the article from that newspaper in the search results here - https://sj-r.newsbank.com/search?date_from=1880&date_to=1880&text=%22john%20mcguire%22&content_added=&pub%5B0%5D=13D09C142C972071

Another article about the accident, gives his age as 21 years. (b.1859)

The Rockford Daily Register.
Tuesday, Nov 23, 1880
Rockford, IL
Page: 2

Offline dfk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 18 June 23 03:20 BST (UK) »
Thank you for this, i am thinking that the john mcguire that died in 1880 is not my john ,i base this on his reported age of 21, he would have to have been about 15 when his first daughter was born in 1874.
But this is good news as i can now discount the 1880 john in illinois and look for another.
Thank you so much for the newspaper clips.
David.
Kearns
Whittaker
Baxter
Birchenough
Longworth
Southern
Astles

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 21 June 23 17:25 BST (UK) »
Dave, I’ve kept your topic open on my iPad as I haven’t yet given up.  Any suggestions of where you would like to resume the search?  Thank you, Lisa

PS. I will have a look around again for Mary’s death.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline dfk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 22 June 23 22:00 BST (UK) »
Thats a great idea, i am thinking that Mary most probably either died or remarried and in Pennsylvania but just dont know any more.
If we find her we might find John which would be a big success.
I will keep looking also and post an update should i find any new info.
David.   
Kearns
Whittaker
Baxter
Birchenough
Longworth
Southern
Astles