Author Topic: No Substitute.  (Read 253 times)

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
No Substitute.
« on: Thursday 15 June 23 12:17 BST (UK) »
Over the last few months many posts have been posted on Rootschat. Many of us have contributed to these posts with some wonderful results. However, on quite a few occasions it is suggested for the poster to obtain a BMD certificate so "brick walls" can at least be partly broken down. Again in the last few months I have read posts where this was done and results have been really really beneficial, from change of names at birth etc etc. Suppose what I'm saying is no substitute for "real evidence". Have a good day all.

John

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: No Substitute.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 June 23 12:56 BST (UK) »
I agree, that BMD certs/pdfs can really help (and over the years I have obtained them for the direct line at least).
Though we do have to bear in mind that budgets vary widely and for some its just not always possible to find the funds.

Boo

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 June 23 13:04 BST (UK) »
Over the last few months many posts have been posted on Rootschat. Many of us have contributed to these posts with some wonderful results. However, on quite a few occasions it is suggested for the poster to obtain a BMD certificate so "brick walls" can at least be partly broken down. Again in the last few months I have read posts where this was done and results have been really really beneficial, from change of names at birth etc etc. Suppose what I'm saying is no substitute for "real evidence". Have a good day all.

John

This has always applied - not just in the last few months  ;D
As long as BMD records exist. I have a relative who died in  1840 but doesn't seem to have a death registration; and an ancestor born in 1854 whose birth doesn't seem to have been registered, even though all her siblings born post 1st July 1837 were registered.
And remember, a BMD record is not always "real evidence", they are only a record of what an informant told the registrar (or vicar for church marriage) and may not be completely true.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 June 23 13:15 BST (UK) »
This has always applied - not just in the last few months  ;D
As long as BMD records exist. I have a relative who died in  1840 but doesn't seem to have a death registration; and an ancestor born in 1854 whose birth doesn't seem to have been registered, even though all her siblings born post 1st July 1837 were registered.
And remember, a BMD record is not always "real evidence", they are only a record of what an informant told the registrar (or vicar for church marriage) and may not be completely true.

My post was a general observation, I agree that it is sometimes open to Known info by those recording this info on bmd's. I too have exceptions but there will always be elements of doubt about some records.

John

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 June 23 13:16 BST (UK) »
Don't be fooled into thinking that everything on a certificate is true, they always need to be viewed with a certain amount of scepticism until the facts can be verified by other means.

Birth and marriage certificates can have fictitious fathers named on them.

I have one family where the parents were married to other people, although they cohabited for years under the man’s correct name. The mother registered the Births of the children using a false a completely false surname, on the initial letter was correct.

Details in death certificates depend on how well the deceased was known by the informant, ages in particular can be way out.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.