Author Topic: Brickwall - Philip MORTIMER, Pembroke Militia  (Read 1172 times)

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Brickwall - Philip MORTIMER, Pembroke Militia
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 17 June 23 22:46 BST (UK) »
FindMyPast marriages (image/transcript) -
A Philip Mortimer, abode Uzmaston, married a Margaret Evans at St Martins, Haverfordwest on 23 Jun 1768.

FindMyPast Baptism (image/transcript)
Given name - illegible, son of Philip Mortimer, was baptised 27 Oct 1771, place Steynton, mother not named

Also a George Mortimore, bap 4 Jun 1769, Steynton

Offline Sikes

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 18 June 23 10:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the census info.  I had wondered if the Ann Mortimer in Bristol 1851 was Philips wife but birth place is wrong
Thanks for looking Rosie. I also came across an Ann Mortimer buried in Bristol in 1799. Which might explain why I can't find any siblings for James. Though can't do much with the info as Philip moved around so much.

Offline Sikes

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 18 June 23 11:04 BST (UK) »
Looked at the surname Fitt and came across a burial in Great Hautbois 29 Nov 1792 for a James Fitt and there was a will which I managed to find

Referenced as ANW, will register, 1792-1793, (1792) fo. 147, no. 108

Just need to sign into familysearch to access the record for free

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01se8/

He leaves everything to wife Amy
Thank you so much for that. I hadn't come across. I'll have to see if I can a will for Amy.

Offline Sikes

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 21 June 23 17:18 BST (UK) »
Hmm, it has been suggested (on Anc.) that I have the wrong James Mortimer. I had assumed I was correct because James dies in 1873 at the age of 73. Others have suggested James is:

Name   James Weeks Mortimer
Event Type   Baptism
Birth Date   16 Nov 1804
Baptism Date   13 Jan 1805
Baptism Place   Plymouth, Devon, England
Denomination   Presbyterian
Father   William Mortimer
Mother   Jane Mortimer

Which would line up on some census but not the death. Nor in 1819 when he runs away from his Master (hatter) and is caught aged 20. ??? :-\

Offline qccka3849

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 21 March 24 13:33 GMT (UK) »
Thought I'd add where the Pembroke Milita were and in italics for items I know Philip was present:

1795 - Norfolk for the flour riots
[1796 - Philip marries in Norfolk]
1797 - Languard Fort. Philip is mentioned in newspaper report for the Kings visit
1798 May to Oct - Ireland
00 - Based in Plymouth. Philips son christened in Plymouth
02 - Haverfordwest for the visit of Lord Nelson. Band of the Pembroke Militia
02 -  Disembodied
03 - Languard Fort
04 - Colchester
06 - Maldon
07 - Peterborough & Portsmouth
08 - Hythe & Bristol
09 - Dungness
10 - Rye & Bristol
11 to 13 - Ballinasloe (Ireland)
13 Dublin & Liverpool
14 Bristol & Haverfordwest

He could have been anywhere & everywhere! :'(

Hello Sikes. I have read with great interest this post, as well as others you have made on this website, about your ancestor and the (Royal) Pembrokeshire Militia. My 5th great-grandfather, John Parry, was in the Royal Pembrokeshire Militia and married a Wells-next-the-Sea (Norfolk) woman in May 1796, very likely meeting when the militia was posted there following the flour riots in the town. I've been trying to find out where in Wales he has born--I know his date of birth to be circa 1774--or even just more on his military career. His occupation is still given as "solider" on the baptism record of his last child in 1813. Incidentally, to the best of my knowledge, all of his children were baptised in Wells-next-the-Sea.

I hope to look through the muster rolls in WO13 at the National Archives in Kew at some point. I was intrigued to read that your ancestor was mentioned in a newspaper article in 1797 about the King's visit to Landguard Fort. Do you remember the newspaper (and date) said article appeared in, as I would be very interested to read it?

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline qccka3849

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 22 March 24 19:17 GMT (UK) »
You're welcome and, secondly,  a belated welcome to Rootshat.
I remember the frustration surrounding the 1771 baptism, father Philip Mortimer, son's given name illegible. I recall checking if  the Bishops' Transcripts for Steynton at the LGC might provide the answer.  Unfortunately, the Bishop's Transcripts only date from post 1771. Another instance of "s**'s  law kicking in!

Offline Sikes

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 12 April 24 16:46 BST (UK) »
Thought I'd add where the Pembroke Milita were and in italics for items I know Philip was present:

1795 - Norfolk for the flour riots
[1796 - Philip marries in Norfolk]
1797 - Languard Fort. Philip is mentioned in newspaper report for the Kings visit
1798 May to Oct - Ireland
00 - Based in Plymouth. Philips son christened in Plymouth
02 - Haverfordwest for the visit of Lord Nelson. Band of the Pembroke Militia
02 -  Disembodied
03 - Languard Fort
04 - Colchester
06 - Maldon
07 - Peterborough & Portsmouth
08 - Hythe & Bristol
09 - Dungness
10 - Rye & Bristol
11 to 13 - Ballinasloe (Ireland)
13 Dublin & Liverpool
14 Bristol & Haverfordwest

He could have been anywhere & everywhere! :'(

Hello Sikes. I have read with great interest this post, as well as others you have made on this website, about your ancestor and the (Royal) Pembrokeshire Militia. My 5th great-grandfather, John Parry, was in the Royal Pembrokeshire Militia and married a Wells-next-the-Sea (Norfolk) woman in May 1796, very likely meeting when the militia was posted there following the flour riots in the town. I've been trying to find out where in Wales he has born--I know his date of birth to be circa 1774--or even just more on his military career. His occupation is still given as "solider" on the baptism record of his last child in 1813. Incidentally, to the best of my knowledge, all of his children were baptised in Wells-next-the-Sea.

I hope to look through the muster rolls in WO13 at the National Archives in Kew at some point. I was intrigued to read that your ancestor was mentioned in a newspaper article in 1797 about the King's visit to Landguard Fort. Do you remember the newspaper (and date) said article appeared in, as I would be very interested to read it?

Hi qccka3849, not easy to trace are they :)

I think that WO 68/74 at the National Archives contained lots of information when trying to find when Philip was present.

I have extra years and locations for the above, which may be of use to you:

1792 - Pemb Militia reformed
1793 - Marched Hereford to Worcester
1795 - Holt and Warham in Norfolk
1805 - Colchester

And:
- Exeter Flying Post, 22 May 1800: Pembroke Milita to be reduced to 172 rank and file
- [Forgot to write down publication]16 Dec 1802 - Haverfordwest: Lord Nelson visited Haverfordwest. Band of the Pembroke Milita.

Good luck!