Author Topic: Ancestry Thrulines  (Read 412 times)

Offline Razzle Dazzle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ancestry Thrulines
« on: Friday 16 June 23 15:50 BST (UK) »
Hello!

Myself, my mum and my aunt all did DNA tests on Ancestry and I am the manager for their results etc. I can view their results through my account.

I am linked to both through DNA. When I go to my Thrulines I can see and evaluate suggestions and when I do it updates my mums Thrulines too. When I then go in and view her Thrulines any that I have updated on mine also update on hers.

However, when I view my aunts Thrulines they are all still showing as needing to be evaluated. When I then click to evaluate it brings up the suggestions and DNA links on the right hand side but I don't get the option to accept and save them.

I have checked all settings on each account and as far as I can see they are all the same. Am I being a doofus?!?! What am I missing? Its driving me mad and is probably something really simple but I just can't work out what it is.

Many thanks  ;D

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry Thrulines
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 June 23 23:40 BST (UK) »
Ancestry have stopped any work in many of their spaces - even with the free help we all give them

Thrulines have stopped

linking to each parent stopped

Common ancestors even though I have linked tree after tree

Its just becoming a name register
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline dtlroots

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 June 23 07:14 BST (UK) »
My instinct is that it is far more likely that Ancestry's software is deficient than that you have done anything wrong. Their main interest is very much in selling subscriptions, upgrades and DNA tests. The Traits upgrade which they seem to be pushing hard is about as scientific as Family Fortunes.
I spent years submitting frequent problem reports telling them that the indexes to many 1861 Anglesey census records were clearly wrong, but never got more than standard responses saying that they would submit the report to the appropriate team. Often, many remained wrong years later.
Unlike most testing companies, they refuse to allow customers to upload tests from other testing companies to their site, and they do not allow testers to see details of the segments on which they match with other testers, whether or not both testers consent to this.
I have found that Thrulines is sometimes useful, but that its suggestions are sometimes nonsense, showing many logical inconsistencies.
Leek - Salford/Radcliffe/Shropshire
Gaut - Shropshire
Harrison - Burntwood Staffordshire
Dutton - Tarporley, Cheshire
Hayes - Forton/Preston
Corbett - Coleshill
Wareing - Forton, Woodplumpton Lancashire
Bonser - Leicestershire
Hughes - Amlwch, Rhosybol, Parys Mountain, Cauldon Lowe
Williams - Amlwch
Thomas - Llaneilian, Llanwenllwyfo
Dodd - Shropshire

Offline phil57

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 June 23 09:12 BST (UK) »
I have found that Thrulines is sometimes useful, but that its suggestions are sometimes nonsense, showing many logical inconsistencies.

Thrulines hints for all my paternal uncles and cousins have recently changed to show them as half relatives instead of full relatives.

I have tracked it down to a tree which shows the wrong person as married to my GGM and father of my GF's siblings, but strangely not the father of my GF. It is completely false, but despite Ancestry also showing six other correct trees under the evaluate links, Thrulines insists on showing the indications from the incorrect tree.

Don't just follow the Evaluate link and accept it. As always, Thrulines are hints and you need to fully research every person in the hints supplied by Ancestry and follow their lineage to be sure that what they are proposing is absolutely correct.
Stokes - London and Essex
Hodges - Somerset
Murden - Notts
Humphries/Humphreys from Montgomeryshire

Offline Razzle Dazzle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 June 23 14:27 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for taking the time to reply. So glad to know thats its not just me and I'm really not losing the plot!

Thrulines insists on showing the indications from the incorrect tree
This would explain why there was a major discrepancy with mine recently and I couldn't understand where it originated. I spent hours re-checking and cross-referencing everything again to make sure I had it correct. So turns out it may have been someone else not bothering to do the same!

Don't just follow the Evaluate link and accept it.
I don't - I made that mistake many years ago so always cross reference everything. What a shame not everyone does...  :(