Author Topic: 1st wife and child  (Read 1069 times)

Offline willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1st wife and child
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 18 June 23 21:09 BST (UK) »
Glad that has helped you find her under such sad circumstances.
Willsy

Ward, Newark (Nottingham), Leicester, Scarborough
Warren, Northampton, Leicester
Moore, Leicestershire
Hunt, Leicestershire
Kirkman, Leicestershire
Hurst, Leicester, Stowmarket
Kendrick, Leicestershire
Eld, Leicestershire
Essex Edey/Eady Elsden/Elsdon

Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

Offline PERKO14

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 18 June 23 21:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you it was so sad that Norman never had anymore children.  I just feel they shouldn’t be forgotten to the past.

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 18 June 23 21:33 BST (UK) »
Sorry to have to mention this, but I wonder if a bit of family history was being fudged to hide a divorce and no access to the child? In those days it was still quite a social black mark to have divorced (my grandparents did so about this time - my mother told me a few hair curling stories about the questions, social impact on her and her brother etc.)

Irene M Perkins or Whittaker
Arthur G Errington

Marriage Q4  1948
Dartford Vol 5b, p 858

Offline PERKO14

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 18 June 23 21:36 BST (UK) »
Well I will have look see if I can find the child in question and look for death registration first and go from there.  But everything is a possibility.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 19 June 23 15:34 BST (UK) »
Sorry to have to mention this, but I wonder if a bit of family history was being fudged to hide a divorce and no access to the child? In those days it was still quite a social black mark to have divorced (my grandparents did so about this time - my mother told me a few hair curling stories about the questions, social impact on her and her brother etc.)

Irene M Perkins or Whittaker
Arthur G Errington

Marriage Q4  1948
Dartford Vol 5b, p 858

The 1939 register confirms that is who we are after showing all 3 of her surnames.  Well done Mabel.

It would appear that she married again in 1985 Gravesend reg district.  She appears to have died in 2017 York registration district - probate 26 January 2017.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 19 June 23 16:44 BST (UK) »
Where is she in 1939? I tried hard to find her last night under all three surnames with no luck. That's why I wasn't 100% sure about my suggestion

Also I haven't found an obvious contender for the child - there's one Perkins with mmn similar to Whittaker (different spelling) but nowhere near Kent. Potential for a child born before the marriage, however

Offline PERKO14

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 19 June 23 16:48 BST (UK) »
Glad that has helped you find her under such sad circumstances.

Well the plot thickens !   It seems that she may not have died and that they divorced?   Or not who knows but Irene M Perkins seems to have remarried to S Arthur Errington.   See the previous comment.    Found them in 1939 on FindMyPast but can’t see the details.   Trying to find on sites I can view

Offline PERKO14

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 19 June 23 16:52 BST (UK) »
Where is she in 1939? I tried hard to find her last night under all three surnames with no luck. That's why I wasn't 100% sure about my suggestion

Also I haven't found an obvious contender for the child - there's one Perkins with mmn similar to Whittaker (different spelling) but nowhere near Kent. Potential for a child born before the marriage, however

I found it on FindMyPast but can’t see the details now struggling to find it on the other sites.  Wondering if we can see them in 1921 ?   I will have to go to the library tomorrow to check

Offline PERKO14

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 19 June 23 16:55 BST (UK) »

Where was it that you found the birth registered?  We could check a connection to Irene’s parents.   Where they were from etc maybe