Author Topic: Murder of Thomas Crossett, June 18, 1886, Calaveras Co., California  (Read 914 times)

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Murder of Thomas Crossett, June 18, 1886, Calaveras Co., California
« on: Saturday 17 June 23 03:50 BST (UK) »
I have found two articles about the murder of Thomas Crossett on June 18, 1886. These articles say that Thomas had a wife, who was Theresa Walsh, whom he married Nov 16, 1878 after his first wife Ella Louise Walsh, Theresa's sister, had died in 1874. A man called Isaac Bradley was firstly arrested and released, but later a William W. Clark was arrested for the murder.
There is a date of death on findagrave which includes Thomas' date of birth. However, what I am looking for is either a death certificate verifying his parents' names, and/or an obituary naming his siblings. Thomas did have brothers Samuel and James who are named in their father John's will written in 1876, and John died Feb 3, 1878 in Ballymoghan,Co. Derry, Ireland.  I think  this is the correct son Thomas who died as stated on June 18, 1886 and the correct son Samuel who died Jan 12, 1894,  also in Calaveras Co., California following a wagon accident.  Thinking that an obit for either of them might mention the whereabouts of brother James who had also emigrated someplace as the will mentions the three of them, saying that "if they chose to return to Ireland". James is not the James Crossett that died in Philadelphia in 1927.
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/101994431/thomas-b-crossett
Thanks for any help
Peggy
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Murder of Thomas Crossett, June 18, 1886, Calaveras Co., California
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 June 23 10:16 BST (UK) »
The Sacramento Daily Record reported the tracking down of the alleged murderer but no obituary for Thomas.
The murderer must have thought he'd gotten away with it after an inquest returned death from "hemorrhage of the lungs". But he was exhumed at his wife's insistence after a month where an autopsy found he had been shot. 

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 June 23 11:13 BST (UK) »
Is this 1870 census record for Philadelphia of any help for James. Eldest child named John & another son names Thomas. There is also a Mary Crossett, age 79 on the record.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MZ5G-CM4

Added:

On the same record there is another Crossett family

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-6SXS-K8K?i=397&cc=1438024&personaUrl=%2Fark%3A%2F61903%2F1%3A1%3AMZ5G-CM4

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 June 23 14:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you hanes teulu and Kloumann. Quite the story, isn’t it? Isaac Bradley was first arrested but released and then  a later article says that William W. Clark was arrested.
I am quite sure that the James in Philadelphia is NOT a brother to this Thomas and Samuel. James in Philadelphia had parents John and Mary, and his father John died in 1862 in Philadelphia and his mother Mary who is on the 1870 census with James died in 1879. John and Mary, along with another son William and his wife, Elizabeth were all firstly  buried in Odd Fellows cemetery in Philadelphia, but later moved to Lawnview cemetery when Oddfellows became defunct. Their son James died Nov 27,1927 in Durham, Bucks County, Philadelphia, and is reportedly buried in Green Mount cemetery but he is not there as per a phone call that I received just yesterday. This James was born Oct 1834 as per the 1900 census and most records agree with this, except for the death certificate.
The James that I am looking for had father John who died in Ireland in 1878 and he mentions in his will of 1876 that his sons Thomas and Samuel and James are not in Ireland. They should have mother Annie nee Foster. I thought possibly James went to California like his brothers did. The will says that James should get 10 pounds sterling if ever he comes home for it, whereas Samuel and Thomas get 10 shillings and six pence each, if ever they come home for it. This, I am thinking, means James is older than his brothers, and Thomas was born 1829 as per findagrave, and Samuel born 1820. I could be wrong about the age although I don’t think I’m wrong about the family.

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 June 23 20:46 BST (UK) »
Since Samuel died in a wagon  accident, Jan 12, 1894, in Calaveras Co., California (probably in Altaville/Angels Camp) I wonder if that would make the papers even if there is no obit.

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 June 23 21:30 BST (UK) »
Why not check here (click on advanced search)

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 17 June 23 22:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you. I had a look, both for Samuel, and wagon accident, but didn't find anything.

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 17 June 23 23:20 BST (UK) »
The following doesn’t help with the newspaper article for Samuel Crossett, but possibly the following was about Samuel and not about a different Crossett?  ???

[The following is a bit scattered as there are multiple results on the internet]

Samuel Crossett
Place of death: Born in Ireland. Death: Smith’s Flat
Other Crossetts are mentioned on the page
https://cagenweb.org/calaveras/Deaths_calaveras_gen_soc.pdf
Note: it is a very large file and takes awhile to load and find Crossett in the document.

Stagecoach holdup three miles from Altaville near the Crossett Ranch (the stagecoach originated in Angel’s Camp so most likely the ranch was north or northeast of Altaville)
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01se9/
Happened in 1894

Crossett Ranch was on Copperopolis Road, and Cherokee Creek “flowed through the property”.
https://vredenburgh.org/mining_history/pdf/AMJ-1941-pt1.pdf

Added: we moved to the “foothills” (won’t disclose exactly where)  ;) three years ago.  If you have any questions about Calaveras or Tuolumne Counties (they are neighbouring counties) I can try to find answers for you.  In the meantime, I’m still trying to find out who owned Crossett Ranch.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 17 June 23 23:36 BST (UK) »
Possibly a Thomas Crossett lived on/owned Crossett Ranch?

Death of Thomas Crossett, 1886
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01sea/

Added: Thomas was born in Magherafelt, County Derry, according the to following site:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01seb/

Added: I now see that you already have some of the details. Sorry, I’ve just been checking the internet without rereading your topic.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)