Author Topic: Murder of Thomas Crossett, June 18, 1886, Calaveras Co., California  (Read 916 times)

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Murder of Thomas Crossett, June 18, 1886, Calaveras Co., California
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 18 June 23 00:39 BST (UK) »
This is fabulous, Lisa in California. Yes, Thomas was born in Magherafelt, as per findagrave, also according to the Deaths in Calveras County that you sent (although it says Machrafelt more like it is  pronounced instead of like it is spelled). I was excited to see those deaths. Theresa E. would be Thomas' second wife and Ellen was his first wife. Ellen's date of death agrees with the online tree that I found although the tree had Theresa's death as 1905 whereas the Deaths in Calveras County has her death as Jan 29, 1892 which is more likely to be correct. I did have another thought - wondered if Edward might be the same person as James. Died Mar 30, 1879 at Sheep Ranch, California. I looked for Robert Walsh's death but didn't find it on the list - he was the brother to both of Thomas' wives as per the newspaper article about Thomas' shooting. Samuel's place of death as per findagrave agrees with the Deaths in Calaveras Co. - near Smiths Flat. Samuel and Thomas are in the same cemetery but Edward's cemetery was not listed.  Thanks for all your help, Lisa.
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 18 June 23 20:00 BST (UK) »
I found Samuel and Thomas together in Calaveras County on the 1860 census and Samuel is 39 where as Thomas is  age 30.
https://www.rootschat.com/links/01see/
I found them in various censii after that, including the 1880 where Thomas is married to Theresa and has newborn son Robert born September 1879.
Thomas was naturalized in 1869 and Samuel in 1871, confirmed by several California great registers.

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 18 June 23 20:03 BST (UK) »
As per an online tree, Thomas and Samuel had a sister Anne who married William Patterson in 1859 in Ireland and they went to Cape Town,South Africa where Ann died in 1882.  I wonder if James went there as well. I didn’t find him in California.

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 18 June 23 20:03 BST (UK) »
Excellent.  I’m landscaping today but if I can help with anything tonight, please let me (all of us) know if you would like other documents.  I haven’t yet found a death certificate or obit.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 18 June 23 20:18 BST (UK) »
I haven’t found a death certificate or an obit for either Samuel or Thomas. Either of them would be great. I did just find Ann’s death in South Africa but it remains to be seen if she is their sister.

PATTERSON Annie (age 39 years) (wife of William PATTERSON) - on 28th August 1882 at Cape Town  this was in the Cape Times newspaper of Tuesday Aug 29th.

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 19 June 23 16:45 BST (UK) »
There is a death of a William Patterson, Blacksmith, 1912, Paarl, Cape Province. From Anne's marriage; William was a Blacksmith.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33SQ-G5D5-9HFY?i=133&cc=1779109&personaUrl=%2Fark%3A%2F61903%2F1%3A1%3AWD3B-G92M

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 19 June 23 16:53 BST (UK) »
This is his death certificate which names his wifes including Anne Crosset & children.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSQF-QSHR-7?i=1753&cc=2517051

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 19 June 23 17:07 BST (UK) »
Thank you so very much Kloumann. Until I saw the death certificate, I was thinking this was possibly not the correct William Patterson since the first record said he was married and was born in the Cape. However, the second record is very explicit and names his father Adam who was the same as on the marriage record to Annie Crossett. Also says he was born in Scotland, which makes more sense since he married Annie in Ireland. Interesting that all his wives are named Ann or a variation thereof.

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 19 June 23 17:36 BST (UK) »
Don't think he was born in Glasgow or Scotland. No record of his birth or his father on SP. His father died 1875, age 70 in Ireland.