Author Topic: Problem ordering Wills from Gov.UK ?  (Read 941 times)

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Problem ordering Wills from Gov.UK ?
« on: Saturday 17 June 23 10:25 BST (UK) »
Anyone else had a problem recently when trying to pay for Wills ordered on Gov.UK website ?  I have ordered many Wills from their website in past years without any problem.  However the 'new' service they seem to have brings up an Error message when attempting to pay and place order.   I have sent number of e-mails to the e-mail address they ask to be used for feed back, but I get a different person responding each time (it's probably run by AI anyway !) with misleading and contradictory messages, no help at all.  I completed the application forms for 2 Wills and sent in post and tried finding out if they had been received but again, no helpful / useful response.  Want to know if just me having problem and it might be virus protection software causing a problem when trying to pay.
ASTON, Birmingham : TWIST, B.ham: HUNT, B.ham: LAYTON, Worcestershire: LAYTON, B.ham: BISHOP, Leic.: TYSALL, B.ham: BURLEY,B.ham: SCOTT,B.ham: FISHER, B.ham : PRICHARD,Wales: BEARD,Worc. : SCHREDER, USA

Offline PrawnCocktail

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Problem ordering Wills from Gov.UK ?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 June 23 12:18 BST (UK) »
Didn't have any problem ordering, but it's now been 6 weeks since I ordered, and I haven't received anything. Anyone know how long it's taking them at the moment? I did message them, but have heard nothing.
Website: http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~towcesterfamilies/genealogy/
Towcester - anything, any time
Cheshire - Lambert, Houghland, Birtwisle
Liverpool - Platt, Cunningham, Ditton
London - Notley, Elsom, Billett
Oxfordshire - Hitchcock, Smith, Leonard, Taunt
Durham - Hepburn, Eltringham
Berwickshire - Guthrie, Crawford
Somerset - Taylor (Bath)
Gloucestershire - Verrinder, Colborn
Dorset - Westlake

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 June 23 12:29 BST (UK) »
  I posted last week about a problem with my password. The site refused to accept the one I had, or any of my tries at replacing it. I have just tried again with the same result.
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 June 23 16:45 BST (UK) »
PrawnCocktail  -   were you able to enter your card details OK to pay ?   If so, it might be my virus protection that is stopping payment made by me.  This is the screen (attached) that appears.
They  (the AI!) eventually sent me an e-mail address LeedsDPRenquiries  which I had to contact, so I enclosed copies of the two completed application forms.  Reply from them said it would be 10 weeks at least before I heard back  -  been already 3 weeks since I posted to Gov.UK !   So think 3 months Top-of-the-Hill !
What else can one do - giving feed back about the site, as they ask, achieves nothing, it seems a shambles.
ASTON, Birmingham : TWIST, B.ham: HUNT, B.ham: LAYTON, Worcestershire: LAYTON, B.ham: BISHOP, Leic.: TYSALL, B.ham: BURLEY,B.ham: SCOTT,B.ham: FISHER, B.ham : PRICHARD,Wales: BEARD,Worc. : SCHREDER, USA

Offline PrawnCocktail

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 June 23 18:02 BST (UK) »
Hi LaytonLily,

No problem at all entering my card details. I can’t now remember whether I ordered on my laptop or my tablet, though.

Thanks for the heads up on how long it’s taking. It only took about a fortnight last time I ordered last summer.

Seems to be on a par with most things these days - it wasn’t broken, so they “fixed” it. And now it doesn’t work!
Website: http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~towcesterfamilies/genealogy/
Towcester - anything, any time
Cheshire - Lambert, Houghland, Birtwisle
Liverpool - Platt, Cunningham, Ditton
London - Notley, Elsom, Billett
Oxfordshire - Hitchcock, Smith, Leonard, Taunt
Durham - Hepburn, Eltringham
Berwickshire - Guthrie, Crawford
Somerset - Taylor (Bath)
Gloucestershire - Verrinder, Colborn
Dorset - Westlake

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 June 23 19:42 BST (UK) »
PrawnCocktail - your comment about ordering on laptop or tablet, made me think to try ordering on tablet as don't have the same virus protection on there.   And it worked, or would have done, if I had then put card details in, but was just testing at that point.  It brought up a different looking screen, giving me the choice to choose which bank card it was, something not shown previously when ordering on laptop.

I have other Wills I want to order and I thought 'why bother' if it was going to be such a problem. Waiting 12 weeks  to receive copies is not what you want, but OK, if that's what it is.  However, what  I don't want is there being a problem, which Gov.UK are not prepared to address or help with and it just seems a mess.

I don't use my tablet to buy things, having to put in card details, but will try ordering these other Wills that way now.

So thanks for your help - inadvertently !

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 June 23 05:40 BST (UK) »
I don't know whether the problem was the same as I had recently.
When it says to click on the logo for your card it means (e.g.) the word VISA,
not the image of a card.  I suppose I should have known.

Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 20 June 23 14:59 BST (UK) »
Two Wills received today in post.  So not 12 weeks as indicated by Gov.UK.   Don't know why I had to send on to Leeds Probate Service but they delivered.    I haven't tried to order any more online yet but I think for sure PrawnCocktail gave me the answer and it was my laptop virus protection preventing me paying online, trying on tablet I could see it gave me the proper screen to continue with payment.
As usual, the wonderful people on this website, continue, in every respect, to provide the answers to anything and everything related to FH !  You helped me find the 'son by the milkman' according to my father born to his Aunt Lottie  and subsequently I made contact with his descendants.  Then you helped me identify his possible father, which was correct, and I have met up with his grandson and am meeting him again at his house soon to have a copy of a photograph of the said Francis Henry Baylis.     Neither two families knew any of this and are thrilled to have the story.   Thrilled as only FH researchers can be at such details !

You also amazingly helped me find Charlotte, mother of said son  'by the milkman' and the 'old man with the fruit shop'.

Perhaps I might even see if you can find my mother's father, who she never knew !  Only joking.  Three Layton sisters though, all got pregnant around the same time, went on to have their child, subsequently years later all 3 married, but none of the 3 had any more children.    No answers likely to be found there.

Offline toby_ax

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 20 June 23 15:01 BST (UK) »
I ordered 3 last week 1 was instant the other 2 came after 3 days? I didn't have problems buying or receiving them? but mine were electronic copies.

Maybe in future go electronically and print them off? If you have the means to do so. Was a lot faster for me.
Mills - North Bierley / Hull / Burin Bay, Canada
Morrell - North Bierley
Gravestock - North Bierley / Bedfordshire
Wade - North Bierley
Failes - North Bierley / Norfolk