Author Topic: David Ranken Aghadowey 1683  (Read 330 times)

Offline rankpin95

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
David Ranken Aghadowey 1683
« on: Saturday 17 June 23 12:18 BST (UK) »
Afternoon all,

I have 2 links to the Rankin surname on my paternal side. My great grandparents were Mitchell Smyth Rankin (COI) and Mary Ann Rankin (Presbyterian), they married probably mid 1920s. Both were born in Garvagh, but as far as I can go back I cannot see how they are related. I have a hunch that they are related further back. I know David Ranken, from Scotland, settled in Aghadowey in 1683. I assume he is the common ancestor for my great grandparents.

On my Great Grandfather's side I was able to get back to James Rankin (4 x great grandfather), an architect who seemingly lived in Garvagh town. He died pre 1864, so no death records. I'm guessing he was born at the end of the 18th century. He was a member of ST Paul's COI in Garvagh.

On my Great Grandmother's side I was able to get back to John Rankin/Ranken (3 x great grandfather), a farmer who seemingly was from Gortfad. He lived 1813 to 1886. He and his family of Rankins were Presbyterian.

I am ultimately trying to join the dots from one or both of these sides of the family back to David Ranken, who is buried in Aghadowey COI graveyard (1666-1750). Whilst also trying to discover the common ancestor between the two families.

This is quite a difficult task, I've been working on it for years, so ANY help is very much appreciated.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: David Ranken Aghadowey 1683
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 June 23 19:52 BST (UK) »
Dr. Mullin's Aghadowey book has a family tree for the family of David Rankin who is buried in St. Guaire's Parish Churchyard.

There was a Hugh Rankin of Liscall, Presbyterian, who may or may not have been connected to the Gortfad family.

I can see no connection between the Gortfad and Liscall families to either David Rankin or the Church of Ireland Rankins descended from a James Rankin.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline rankpin95

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 June 23 21:14 BST (UK) »

I've tried to find out if Leslie Rankin had any brothers or sisters, I assume he had. His death certificate says died aged 97 in 1904 in Garvagh, but other source (below) suggests maybe born in 1826.

Lord Garvagh's Leases-

1st December 1805.  George Bell and James Rankin.
Lease of a Double tenement for 31 years or three lives.  George Bell Gortfad and James Rankin Garvagh, double tenement on the Bleach-green in Garvagh next to that held by David Millar, fifty feet in front with a passage of seven and a half feet and extending to the river the same breadth.  Said double or two tenements to be built and slated the same height as M’Gettigan’s.  Lives of Anne Rankin daughter of James aged one year, James Bell 18 years and Samuel Bell aged 2 years sons of George Bell.

1st December 1815.  James Rankin of Garvagh, Carpenter.  The two tenements on the Bleach-green in Garvagh adjoining James McFall’s tenement containing fifty feet in front with a sufficient passage for a gateway to accommodate the said two tenements, bounded on the north by that part of the Bleach-green that is yet unset, on the south by the River Errigal, on the east by James McFall’s Tenement and on the west by the street of Garvagh, said tenement to be slated and finished similar to the other tenements already built on the said Bleach-green.

Not sure if this one connected-
1st January 1807. John M’Wade senior to John M’Wade jun. lease of one half of a tenement.  Life of James Rankin the elder of Garvagh, Blacksmith.

8th December 1827.  Isaac May, Shoemaker, Garvagh.  Tenement containing twenty five feet seven inches in front and running back two hundred and ten feet seven inches, bounded on one side by the tenement occupied by James Rankin and on the other side by the tenement now unoccupied which adjoins the school house.  In the front by the street of Garvagh and in the rear by the boundary as now laid off by Daniel Kane, being as far back as the wall built to enclose the school house tenement and measuring from front to rear two hundred and ten feet seven inches.  Lives of Charles Rankin son to Hugh Rankin of Liscall, aged 5 years, George Rankin aged 3 years and Leslie Rankin aged 1 year sons of James Rankin carpenter of Garvagh.  Lease for 31 years.  NOTE: Now William McMaster.

The James Rankin who was listed as Carpenter in Garvagh in 1815 is Leslie's father. What's interesting is he lived on the bleach green according to the above from the lease records, which I've heard was located near ballynameen in Garvagh. I know Rankin's owned a bleach green there in partnership with the Ogilby family.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 June 23 23:52 BST (UK) »
The leases, and possibly some of the other details, were posted by me on one or several of your other Rankin topics.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline rankpin95

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 June 23 09:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Aghadowey. Yes that's true. You provided excellent information as always.

I perhaps shouldn't have included the lease information.

I'm ultmiately trying hard to find the link to David Rankin.

Surely with me having two different Rankin lines on my paternal side makes it likely?

I may hit the public library, PRONI and maybe speak more to a local historian. Perhaps visit Garvagh museum.