Author Topic: Possible ancestry of Ellen Rebecca 'Paxton'  (Read 1436 times)

Offline Daltonator86

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Possible ancestry of Ellen Rebecca 'Paxton'
« on: Saturday 17 June 23 15:34 BST (UK) »
She was born in 1848 in 1849 in Paddington, London, the daughter of George Paxton and Harriet Elizabeth Fletcher. The family were well-off, for in the first Census in which she was present, 1851, at their Paddington home, they have a servant.
Anyhow, there were literal rumours within the family that she was actually adopted; she had an apparently strained relationship with her parents and my uncle and was almost driven to suicide until she married and had a family of her own (which saved her). These are stories that have been passed down the family tree. I know there is not much concrete evidence there, but i am aware that adoptions (however subtle and under the radar) would have been more common amongst wealthier than poorer families, although wealthier families would have maybe felt more of an ethnical duty to work within the law.
But basically, is there the possibility of finding her birth certificate (which should show the maiden name of her mother?), or do they not go that far back? Obviously, if it does show 'Fletcher' as it, I shouldn't be surprised.

Offline QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Possible ancestry of Ellen Rebecca 'Paxton'
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 June 23 15:49 BST (UK) »
It appears she was their child:

PAXTON, ELLEN  REBECCA     FLETCHER 
GRO Reference: 1848  J Quarter in KENSINGTON PADDINGTON AND FULHAM  Volume 03  Page 254

You can order her birth certificate from the GRO:
https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/login.asp

You will have to make an account first, if you haven't already got one.

As background, civil registration started in England and Wales in 1837, but it is important to note that not all children were registered.

Queenie  :)
Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset

Offline Daltonator86

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 June 23 15:56 BST (UK) »
It appears she was their child:

PAXTON, ELLEN  REBECCA     FLETCHER 
GRO Reference: 1848  J Quarter in KENSINGTON PADDINGTON AND FULHAM  Volume 03  Page 254

You can order her birth certificate from the GRO:
https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/login.asp

You will have to make an account first, if you haven't already got one.

Well that kinda settles it then... It's just so strange. This is on my mother's side. My father's side is 100% Irish (and that is proven by DNA and DNA matches). My mother's side is seemingly mostly English, with some Irish and Welsh, however, I have quite a series of Dutch relatives...
In particular, I have been to able to access the family trees of my Dutch relatives, and they have no ancestors from outside of the Netherlands. It was this particular line of my mother's side that was most likely to showcase this connection. Other than that, it's very unusual, albeit reassuring in that there are (likely) no real loose ends.

Offline QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 June 23 15:58 BST (UK) »
Question: are these Dutch DNA matches on MyHeritage?

Offline Daltonator86

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 June 23 16:08 BST (UK) »
Question: are these Dutch DNA matches on MyHeritage?

They are, yes. 23andMe and Ancestry aren't all that popular in NL, generally DNA testing isn't as a rule, anyway (not like in the Anglosphere), but MyHeritage is where Dutchies do congregate if one wants to delve a little 'deeper' into one's family tree.

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 June 23 16:15 BST (UK) »
Baptism at St Mary Paddington, 7 May 1848
Born 18 April 1848
Ellen Rebecca
Parents George + Harriet Paxton
Abode Salem Road Bayswater
Father a Wood sawyer

Offline QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 17 June 23 16:23 BST (UK) »
I'm not saying that this definitely applies to your situation (I don't know how strong these Dutch matches are), but MyHeritage is sort of famous for these odd clusters of Europeans that seem to share DNA with the tester, but there is no obvious explanation for how they connect to the tester's tree.

My mother's test displays the same phenomenon, but mostly with Swedish/Norwegian matches. The highest, however, is only 50.3cM. She also has a 48.5cM match with a man who seems to be 100% Dutch.

Just something to keep in mind. Here is a quote from a thread about MyHeritage's Scandinavian matches:

I think this comes up every week, it's also in the Common Room right at this moment ;D. It is known 'phenomena' of MyHeritage to give Brits unlikely close Scandinavian matches. They are mostly probably either false matches, IBD or IBS. MyHeritage has to use imputation to match between kits, because they switched chips themselves in 2019, the old one only having a fairly small overlap to the new one, and also to allow for uploads from other companies that also use different chips. Someone did a survey of matches below 30cM for a child and their parents, and found a large %, about 1/3 below 24cM were false matches, also larger matches with segments below 12cM were also very unreliable with a high % false.

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 17 June 23 16:27 BST (UK) »
Baptism at St Mary Paddington, 7 May 1848
Born 18 April 1848
Ellen Rebecca
Parents George + Harriet Paxton
Abode Salem Road Bayswater
Father a Wood sawyer

On ancestry, transcribed as Payton

Offline Daltonator86

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 17 June 23 16:47 BST (UK) »
I'm not saying that this definitely applies to your situation (I don't know how strong these Dutch matches are), but MyHeritage is sort of famous for these odd clusters of Europeans that seem to share DNA with the tester, but there is no obvious explanation for how they connect to the tester's tree.

My mother's test displays the same phenomenon, but mostly with Swedish/Norwegian matches. The highest, however, is only 50.3cM. She also has a 48.5cM match with a man who seems to be 100% Dutch.

Just something to keep in mind. Here is a quote from a thread about MyHeritage's Scandinavian matches:

I think this comes up every week, it's also in the Common Room right at this moment ;D. It is known 'phenomena' of MyHeritage to give Brits unlikely close Scandinavian matches. They are mostly probably either false matches, IBD or IBS. MyHeritage has to use imputation to match between kits, because they switched chips themselves in 2019, the old one only having a fairly small overlap to the new one, and also to allow for uploads from other companies that also use different chips. Someone did a survey of matches below 30cM for a child and their parents, and found a large %, about 1/3 below 24cM were false matches, also larger matches with segments below 12cM were also very unreliable with a high % false.

I was kinda relieved when I read about the 'Scandinavian' aspect because, yes, I also have quite a few relatives from Scandinavia, Norway and Denmark as well. The Netherlands isn't exactly Scandinavia, though.