Author Topic: Giles Robey - m - Mary Barnard 12-9-1818 where? (Wilts/Hants)  (Read 221 times)

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Giles Robey - m - Mary Barnard 12-9-1818 where? (Wilts/Hants)
« on: Sunday 18 June 23 05:38 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
Not sure which county to post in because;
I have in my tree a Giles Rob(e)y who supposedly married  a Mary Barnard in 1818. 

Anc....y have come up with a date of 12-9-1818  in Wilts (FHL film 1239471) & also a different number but in Hampshire (FHL 1278952)

I know they took out a Licence which lists Giles Robey from Charney, Berks & Mary Barnard from Puzey, [sic] Berks taken out the same day (12-9-1818) but nowhere is the place of marriage recorded.

Would anyone have know where they married  please?

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Giles Robey - m - Mary Barnard 12-9-1818 where? (Wilts/Hants)
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 June 23 05:51 BST (UK) »
The Berkshire marriage index on FindMyPast has the marriage on the 17th Sept 1818 at Pusey.
I think those 12th sept events in Hampshire & Wiltshire relate to the fact the licence was a Salisbury one. So Wiltshire and I think the diocese covered Hampshire too.

But you would need to see the original marriage entry which seems to be at Berkshire Archives
Witnesses given on the index are Henry Peaton & Robert Geeves if that’s any help

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 June 23 11:15 BST (UK) »
Hi mckha489,

Many thanks for your info. It makes sense now that the marriage was in Pusey as that is where Mary was from according to the licence.

As she married Giles Robey in 1818 who was from Charney Bassett, Pusey was a neighbouring parish.

Alan
Edit; I have now found the marriage in the Pusey marriage records (ex Oxon FHS) 17-9-1818
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 June 23 12:37 BST (UK) »
? Devizes and Wiltshire Gazette, Thursday 30 January 1845  (Also in the Reading Mercury 25 January 1845)

WANTAGE PITCHED MARKET, For the Sale of Corn and Seeds.

At a numerous and respectable MEETING of Farmers, Corn Dealers, and other held at the TOWN-HALL, WANTAGE on January the 11th 1845.

B WROUGHTON, ESQUIRE, in the Chair.

It was resolved That in consequence of the town of Wantage being situated in the centre of a rich and fertile Corn District, and its proximity to the Great Western Railway and Wilts Berks Canel, a PITCHED MARKET be established for the SALE  of CORN and SEEDS, and that such Market be opened on Wednesday, 5th of February next, at eleven o'clock in the forenoon, and terminate at one o'clock in the afternoon, and so continued to be held weekly.

We the undersigned, Farmers, Corndealers, and others, being desirous to promote and encourage such Market, do hereby pledge outselves to Pitch our Corn there, and to do all in our power to promote the object of the Meeting, and we earnestly invite Corn Dealers and Seedsmen to attend and support the said Market.

----

Amongst the 100 + names is listed

GILES ROBEY