Author Topic: Edinburgh Royal Infirmary query  (Read 361 times)

Offline tryggo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edinburgh Royal Infirmary query
« on: Sunday 18 June 23 16:16 BST (UK) »
I wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction. I have a lady from Caithness who died in ERI in 1925. She was not buried in her home location ,we have checked her husbands grave records so we wonder if she was buried in Edinburgh. Can anyone tell me who would have any record of what happened to her body after she left the hospital mortuary in 1925 ?? Would the council have grave records from 1925? 
All help welcomed
Many thanks
DM

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Edinburgh Royal Infirmary query
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 June 23 17:56 BST (UK) »
Have you checked the newspapers for a funeral notice?

Online oldfashionedgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 June 23 19:20 BST (UK) »
Since it’s over 75 years you can contact Lothian Health Services Archives and ask to see the records.
I did this for an ancestor who had died in The Royal Edinburgh Hospital (psychiatric) in the 1930s aged 20 years.
I had to go to the University Library to read them, this was about 10 years ago. They were very detailed including the PM.
 I’d say now with todays knowledge it was glaringly obvious he died of sepsis but this was not so understood then hence due to the infection and his ‘ravings’ he ended his short days in the psychiatric hospital.
If you contact them and find there are records and if you are not able to get a copy of them I am happy to go to the designated place to make a copy as I’m in Edinburgh.

Newspaper intimations as suggested by GR2 would be a good way to go, both in Edinburgh and her home town

Good luck

Offline tryggo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 June 23 19:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much both for your replies and offer of help It is really appreciated !!.
We tried the newspapers Edinburgh or Caithness but could find no mention.
We also have her death cert and patient record, but neither mentioned her burial place.
It is very possible that the lady went to a paupers grave ,if so what cemetery would have been used for a death in ERI in 1928 (earlier typo said 1925!) Did they have one they preferred or was it random burial places in  the city
DM

Online oldfashionedgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 June 23 22:12 BST (UK) »
I’m not sure where she would be buried but you can email Edinburgh bereavement services and they will do a search though you have to pay for it.
I did it a few years ago and I think it was about £25 for 4 searches.
You can find them at    bereavement @edinburgh.gov.uk
All the best

Offline tryggo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 June 23 19:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for your help , we will enquire at the address you supplied Hopefully we will solve this one!!
DM