Author Topic: Oliver Olliver family of Sussex  (Read 338 times)

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Oliver Olliver family of Sussex
« on: Sunday 18 June 23 16:25 BST (UK) »
Can anybody help me?

I have long thought that Elizabeth Oliver/Olliver, who married John Barker 1739 in Amberley, Sussex might have been daughter of Clement Oliver/Olliver and Margaret Swift, baptised 19 Apr 1719, Goring, Sussex.

Ancestry have recently added West Sussex Wills to their database, and it would seem that I am wrong (along with a lot of other Ancestry trees).

In his Will proved 1757 he mentions his wife Mary, sons John, Clement, Thomas, William and Edward, also a daughter Elizabeth Fields, married to Thomas Fields and a grandaughter, Elizabeth Chapman.
I think that Clement may have married a Mary Church in Dec 1751 (Margaret died in 1737).

So 3 questions really
1) I am unable to find the marriage of Elizabeth and Thomas

2) Any alternatives for parentage of 'my' Elizabeth, married to John Barker. At marriage - 29 Jul 1739 - John Barker of Broadwater, Elizabeth Oliver of Arundel?

3) Who was Elizabeth Chapman?

Wills often paint a different picture!

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Oliver Olliver family of Sussex
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 June 23 18:30 BST (UK) »
I think this might be a working hypothesis:

Elizabeth Oliver, daughter of Clement, married James Chapman 9 October 1740 in Goring.

They had a daughter Elizabeth baptised in Goring 21 April 1742 - so she is Clement's granddaughter Elizabeth Chapman.

James Chapman died in 1744, buried 31 March at Goring

His widow Elizabeth (Clement's daughter) remarried to Thomas Field 9 Oct 1748 at Goring.

Not sure what alternative parentage for your Elizabeth who married John Barker to suggest at the moment!

Nell

All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 June 23 23:55 BST (UK) »
Seems plausible, Nellie.
I looked and couldn't see any probable candidates for 1) and 3), now it seems so obvious. Fresh eyes are always helpful.

Now to find 'my' Elizabeth, who would have been my 6G grandmother.

Thanks again, Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 June 23 12:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Margaret,  there is the baptism of an Elizabeth Olliver, daughter of William, in Littlehampton St. Mary on 8 May 1720.  Could this be a possibility?

The only other possible baptism seems to be:
Elizabeth Oliver 27 Aug 1721 dau of James and Susan at Udimore      but this is a long way from Arundel.

Pheno

Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire