Author Topic: Death Look Up  (Read 234 times)

Offline tazzy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Death Look Up
« on: Sunday 18 June 23 23:27 BST (UK) »
Hello
I'm looking for a death for John William Simpson born on 1st February 1848 in Toronto.
His parents were William Simpson and Bridget Magher (my Great Great Grandparents). William was killed in Crimean War on 20th September 1854.  William and Bridget had 3 children.  Mary Jane Simpson was born on 17th May 1844 in Halifax, Nova Scotia and James Simpson ,(My Great Grandfather) was born on 7th September 1850 in Kingston, Ontario
I have all the Birth Certificates.  Bridget returned to Scotland (Although she was Irish) between 1850 & 1861, as they're on the 1861 Census living at 42 Forsyth Street, Hopeman but no trace of John William Simpson.  I think they were Roman Catholics. Wandering if there was any newspaper announcement.
Thanking in anticipation

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Death Look Up
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 June 23 12:17 BST (UK) »
This looks like your Bridget

Morning Chronicle 04 August 1856
Relatives Wanted
We are requested (says the Manchester Guardian) by Bridget Simpson the widow of one of our brave soldiers killed at the battle of the Alma who writes to us from Scotland, to assist her, if possible, in finding the address of her mother and sisters, who resided in Manchester in the year 1847, and whom she believes to be still here. We have very great pleasure complying with her request. She states that her husband was a Sergeant in the Rifle Brigade. that her mothers name was Margaret Maher and that she had three sisters Ann, Catherine and Mary, the two former of whom worked in a factory and the third was a dressmaker. The present address of our correspondent is 'Hopeman by Elgin, Morayshire' and we shall be glad to forward to her any information that may be communicated to us.

So she was in Scotland by 1856  ;D
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 June 23 14:22 BST (UK) »
Great find, rosie99!

tazzy, I’ve not yet been able to find Bridget and her children in the 1851 Canadian census (which, I believe, was actually taken in 1852).  I don’t know if it is possible, given the time frame, but might there be military records for William c1851? If so, perhaps they might indicate where he was living or stationed?  Does Hopeman have any significance to the family?  :-\
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 June 23 14:27 BST (UK) »
Hopeman is a village on the coast just NW of Elgin.
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 June 23 14:38 BST (UK) »
The birth record (at Ancestry) says

Conditionally, John William, born 1st inst., of the lawful marriage of William Simpson and Bridget Maher. Sponsors Mary Connell.

I've never seen that before – could he have ended up with a different name?
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline tazzy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 19 June 23 15:13 BST (UK) »
Dear Rosie & Lisa
I'm overwhelmed by the information on Bridget.  Many thanks for that.
Hopeman is in Morayshire not that far from William's birthplace of Alves.  I was also born in Morayshire.  I think maybe the house might have belonged to William's family, hence her return to Scotland but I voulfnt find any information on that.
William and Bridget married on 24th August 1843 in Halifax and he was a Sergeant in 2nd battalion rifle brigade being promoted on 24th April 1842.  His regimental number was 1169.
They were both, along with 1st born Mary Jane, on board the Bellisle in 1846.  I have muster roll up till that year.
Bridget died in Elgin and buried there.