Author Topic: Diary summary week ending 25th June  (Read 2327 times)

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Diary summary week ending 25th June
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 27 June 23 09:20 BST (UK) »
I try to watch heir hunters, the problems caused by people who die intestate is unbelievable  but it makes very a interesting programme,  not a criticism, just saying.

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 27 June 23 09:23 BST (UK) »
Ooer!
Perhaps I ought to have put”When I die, my earthly remains  will be cremated .Or more succinctly “ I will be cremated.”
Future not present tense.
I confess I am never sure when to use ought or should ,will or shall - don’t remember them at all in English Grammar.

Yes, my ashes with my husband’s chucked off a lovely hill in Shropshire ,in to the wind that ever blows there.
No one need feel guilty they can’t visit a grave etc.
Some measure of control still you see!  ::)

But I do wonder how the world will manage without me!

A cemetery just at the end of my road, so many neglected graves with no one to tend them now ,some very old ,mid 1800’s.

A dull morning and I am up and not about just yet ,but what excitement if the burst pipe is repaired today - two days running making builders’ tea for builders,well plumbers really .
I make tea for anyone and everyone.

So Good morning all ,hope you all have a reasonable day at least .

Cheerio .Viktoria.

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 27 June 23 09:44 BST (UK) »
I try to watch heir hunters, the problems caused by people who die intestate is unbelievable  but it makes very a interesting programme,  not a criticism, just saying.

LM

But are all the names on the Bona Vacantia going to be a problem to trace? The programme will only show those cases which make good television - those which need some unravelling and show the HH companies in a good light.
When I was contacted by an HH company a few years ago the researcher included a family tree which would have compared badly with the worst researched on line tree.
The deceased (MN) was a single woman who had the same name as my father's first cousin's married name. But they did come from the same county in England and were roughly the same age, so they must be the same person.  ;D
The researcher contacted my uncle by marriage who would not have been an entitled heir even if MN had really been my relative, it would have been my aunt. He added cousins who were not mine - because there were two couples with the same surnames having children around the same time and merged them into one family, even though they were living nearly 100 miles apart and one pregnancy must have had a four month gestation period! One of my cousins actually signed up with the HH believing it to be true - ironically a cousin the HH missed off because he had not been born in England / Wales and the HH had not found his birth registration.
I managed to trace real relatives of the deceased MN it didn't seem all that difficult. I was lucky with unusual surnames and they stuck to the same locality.
I wonder how many other names on BV could similarly easily be traced if someone bothered. After all the HHs are in business to make as much money as they can, so are only going to pick people they think will have a large estate.
The person who turned out not to be my relative had been on the BV list for seven years until a HH researched her. I don't know what criteria he would have used for choosing her. 
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Online Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 27 June 23 10:06 BST (UK) »
Although I have always lived exploring graveyards, even before I got bitten by the Family History bug. I was always very sad to see the neglected graves of people recently deceased.

Some years ago I visited the grave of a friend, just  five years after her death, hers and several other graves  were already overgrown. Her son has severe learning disabilities and lives in a care home, and her daughter had died soon after her, so there is  no family to tend the grave. I used to go and tidy it and lay flowers every year, until my own health confined me to the house. None of the neighbouring graves were ever tended, I dread to think what they are like now.

Like Viktoria, I shall be cremated and my ashes scattered with my husband’s, only  at sea, not on land. Hopefully the tide will take us on a mystery tour, we always enjoyed travelling to new places. ;D

CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday 27 June 23 16:32 BST (UK) »
My late dear friend and neighbour who lived next but one at my previous home is not buried in the nearby cemetery but her tiny baby grandson is, a cot  death. It nearly broke her .
She is buried with her parents up at Crawshawbooth,Rossendale.
The baby’s father ,her son is buried with the baby but many years between the two deaths.
I pay a little tribute to my friend and occasionally visit the grave and have put snowdrops and forget me not seeds, tidied it a little as she would have done that ,the baby’s very young mother coped and got over the baby’s death in her own way .
So no one visited.
I must go down soon,birthday of my friend .
We helped one another ,could tell anything and it stayed with us ,trusted each other with keys etc ,with confidence.
I miss her still.

Very dark and gloomy  today.
Daft kids scrambling over the mud in the lane, to save about 20 yards if they had gone round to the main road !
Rained pretty much the day today.
Need a recipe for chicken for tea.

Well this is lazyitis at its best !
You lot do delay and distract me!
So thankyou! ;D

Viktoria.