Author Topic: 1656 (?) parish register note  (Read 158 times)

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1656 (?) parish register note
« on: Tuesday 20 June 23 12:32 BST (UK) »
I would appreciate help with this note at the top of the page of the parish register of Shenton, Leicestershire (not Shenstone, Staffs.), recording entries for 1656. I can read most of it, I think, but I’m not sure of the odd word. I think it says:

I doe hereby asent to the chouse made of John Lee of Shenston the elder by the inhabitants of the towne of Shenston -?- to be ye -?-
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline garden genie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1656 (?) parish register note
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 June 23 13:53 BST (UK) »
I can't quite make the last word say register but I think that is what it ought to be. This is during the interregnum when parliament was ejecting some of the vicars and appointing secular personnel to do marriages and such. This is presumably the local vicar sensibly agreeing to the man who has been appointed the register and will be writing in his parish registers.

I can't get a logical word or words after 'the towne of Shenston' but I don't know the area.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 June 23 14:31 BST (UK) »
After Shenston it's afores[ai]d; and register (which as garden genie points out was the job title as well as the book) is spelled regester, and split over two lines.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 June 23 14:34 BST (UK) »
Many thanks both for your answers, it makes sense now. Family members served as church warden numerous times before and after this time.

Dave  :)
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline garden genie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 June 23 15:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks Arthur - I can see afores'd now! I had been looking for a word ending 'sd' without even thinking of an abbreviation. Stupid of me.