Author Topic: Chaplins of Tathwell Hall  (Read 1998 times)

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
Re: Chaplins of Tathwell Hall
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 21 June 23 20:41 BST (UK) »
ive been adding people to the tree
the levett + blackbourne connections add other people of prominence

ive not looked at  peer list yet but have looked into all the CHAPLIN Reverends + lists of Oxford + cambridge community .

Veered off a bit from original quesion about how young Sir John CHAPLIN of Tathwell Hall links to the later generations but surely only a generation away now  .

some of these leads are connected to my neck of the woods
Levett Blackburne was married to illegitimate daughter of the lord of Rutland !
+ there was a CHAPLIN family at Brooksby hall in Leicestershire

thanks for all the help today

Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 21 June 23 22:24 BST (UK) »
Can someone tell me what this expression. Is
It comes after

" My daughters + their....

Looks like " soins & apogies".
Followed by

"Over to ...?

This sentence occurs frequently after named people in Charles testament

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 21 June 23 23:13 BST (UK) »
It says "heirs and assigns for ever".
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 21 June 23 23:17 BST (UK) »
Chaplin of Tathwell and Blankney caught my attention as they are allegedly descendents of the Chaplin family of Action and Semer in Suffolk which goes back to mid 1500s in that area.  I say allegedly as I've not had the chance to confirm all the research that far forward.

There is a 3 volume set of books called Suffolk Manorial Families by Joseph James Muskett which includes pedigrees (with Will extracts) of a number of the various Chaplin families in Suffolk.  It is a very common name in the west of the county and not all can be connected together.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 21 June 23 23:37 BST (UK) »
According to Suffolk Manorial Families Thomas Chaplin of Blankney who died in 1748 was the son of John Chaplin of Tathwell and his second wife Frances Archer (the widow of Francis Rous of Rous Lench).  Frances apparently left a PCC Will proven in 1719.  Suffolk Manorial Families says to check Burkes Peerage for Thomas' descendants.

John Chaplin of Tathwell born 1657 was the son of Sir Francis Chaplin knight, citizen and clothmaker of the City of London and his wife Anne Hutt.  Francis left a Will proven 1680 and Anne's was proven in 1692.

Francis Chaplin was the son of Robert Chaplin of Bury St Edmunds, woollen draper, whose Archdeaconry of Sudbury Will was proven Feb 1643/4.  His wife was Elizabeth Asty and they married 1627 at Bury St Mary.

Robert was baptised at Semer, Suffolk, in 1602, his mother it appears died in or just after childbirth.  Robert's parents being William Chaplin of Semer and his first wife Agnes Holborough who married at Bulmer, Essex, in 1581.  William died in 1629 and left a PCC Will, in which he mentons three siblings Thomas Chaplin, Joan Ballard and Clement Chaplin.  My interest in that Chaplin family is with Clement Chaplin of Action, Suffolk, Wiliam's brother.

As I said I've not confirmed all of this information, only for now to William Chaplin and his wives Agnes and Anne.  The pedigree suggests he left a Will when he died in 1629 but I've no record of that one.

Hope this helps.  Obviously needs some checking. ;D  The Chaplins in Suffolk can be very confusing with similarly named children and in neighbouring parishes.  I have seen a few inaccurate family trees about because people haven't checked Wills and parish register entries accurately. ::)  I await the parish registers finally appearing on Ancestry in probably a couple of years.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 22 June 23 00:02 BST (UK) »
The pedigree is accessible here - https://archive.org/details/suffolkmanorialf31john/page/112/mode/2up - pages 102-120.  Just found it as I have a photocopy of the relevant pages.

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 22 June 23 07:34 BST (UK) »
 Heirs and assigns
I.ll remember that one

Thanks for the link to Suffolk manors

"According to Suffolk Manorial Families Thomas Chaplin of Blankney who died in 1748 was the son of John Chaplin of Tathwell and his second wife Frances Archer (the widow of Francis Rous of Rous Lench).  Frances apparently left a PCC Will proven in 1719.  Suffolk Manorial Families says to check Burkes Peerage for Thomas' descendants.

"John Chaplin of Tathwell born 1657 was the son of Sir Francis Chaplin knight, citizen and clothmaker of the City of London and his wife Anne Hutt.  Francis left a Will proven 1680 and Anne's was proven in 1692."

That's the bit i.ll work on for now.

Is  this Thomas d1748

The father of  Charles Chaplin b1730 of Tathwell & his  brother Thomas b1725. ?

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 22 June 23 07:52 BST (UK) »
Couple of Chaplins to work your way thru' -
https://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/search/node/chaplin

Edit - at bottom of screen see "Abbreviations" for explanation.

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 22 June 23 08:38 BST (UK) »
Confirmation that Tathwell Hall passed from young .baronet sir John Chaplin to his uncle Thomas Chaplin of Blankney
Found in will of the latter 1748

What is the word between "Tathwell Hall lately ...to me "

Does he mean he incurred debts from this ?