Author Topic: James PARKER and Mary MERRETT  (Read 291 times)

Offline ellenmaggie

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James PARKER and Mary MERRETT
« on: Wednesday 21 June 23 10:50 BST (UK) »
I wonder if anyone can help - I am researching my husband's family tree and have got back to his 4GGF James Parker.  He is the father of John Parker baptised in Yateley, Hampshire on 23 September 1821.   His wife was Mary.
https://www.ancestry.com/imageviewer/collections/62422/images/62422_373055000119_0323-00067?pId=286191

James Parker married Mary Merrett on 16th May 1819 at Yateley, Hampshire by banns.
https://www.ancestry.com/imageviewer/collections/62423/images/62423_314054000109_0833-00032?pId=63054

They had at least two children I know of - George and John.   John is my husband's ancestor.  George was baptised 15th August 1819 in Eversley, Hampshire
https://www.ancestry.com/imageviewer/collections/62422/images/62422_373055000119_0312-00032?pId=273517

In 1841 George (aged 20, an ag lab) is living with is mother Mary (born abt 1791 aged 50 independent)in Yateley with a farmer William Thrift
https://www.ancestry.com/imageviewer/collections/8978/images/HAMHO107_394_396-0212?pId=5002965
In 1841 John (20)is living in Yateley with a James Parker (35) with the head of the house, Catherine Goddard
https://www.ancestry.com/imageviewer/collections/8978/images/HAMHO107_394_396-0209?pId=5002791

I am not convinced that this James is John's father even allowing for the rounding down on the census.   There are other Parkers in Yateley and I am trying to see if I can connect them but no luck so far.   The James on the 41 Census maybe James Parker son of Richard and Elizabeth Parker born on 14 April 1802, baptised 3 May 1802 in Yateley.  It could be possible that James was 18 when he married and Mary 28.  But why weren't the family together on the 41 Census.  Mary was independent - does this mean she was widowed.   

There is a burial for a James Parker on 23 December 1823 in Yateley -James was 28, which would make his birthdate around 1795 and thus closer to Mary's age.  It would also explain why there were no further children born to Mary and James. 

Mary Parker nee Merrett died on 8th May 1865 in Yateley aged 75 years old.   The 1861 Census gives her birthplace as Basingstoke and I have found a baptismal record for a Mary Merrot 15th May 1791 at Medstead (near Alton) south of Basingstoke.  She was the illegitimate daughter of Elizabeth Merrot - reputed father Edward Battle. 

So I have come to a halt with both Mary and James.   I cannot find a baptismal record for James Parker circa 1795 (if that is the right James) and so no names of parents.   As yet I have not been able to track down James Parker from the 41 Census to rule him out completed, but as I say I am not convinced he is the father of John.

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James PARKER and Mary MERRETT
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 June 23 11:26 BST (UK) »
Read the will of James Parker 1846 of Darby Green Yateley. It is on ancestry.

He leaves property to George Parker son of Mary parker widow of Yateley and states that John Parker is the brother of George Parker.

Kinsman is Samuel Parker who also has a son named John Parker.  They each get different parcels of land.

Mentions his sister Mary wife of John Goddard

Leaves money to Catherine Goddard now residing at Frogmore widow of the late Thomas Goddard deceased.

Mentions proportional shares to be divided by the said "John Hewitt's will."

Written 23 February 1841.
Probate 1846 he named his sister Mary Parker and Catherine Goddard as executors.

It appears this James is unmarried.

Do read the entire will it confirms relationships.

This James Parker had a sister Mary who married a John Goddard whose mother is Catherine Goddard who is the head of household in 1841 census where James and John are living.

Offline ellenmaggie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 June 23 11:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much!   I will look it up and read it through.   Thank you again!
Ellenmaggie

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 June 23 11:36 BST (UK) »
James parker son of Richard Parker married Mary Ann Goddard father Joseph Goddard on 12 June 1858 at Yateley.

The witness is also a James Parker and  Manea? Whitehaven

So many James Parker's!

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 June 23 11:48 BST (UK) »
There is also an administration for the estate of Richard Parker on 14 September 1840 those named are James Parker, Samuel Parker and William Thrift?

So are this James Parker and Samuel brothers? 

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 June 23 11:52 BST (UK) »
Catherine Goddard applied to administer the estate of Thomas Goddard 6 October 1840 as his widow,

also listed are James Rackley and James Parker.

Ref: ancestry

Offline ellenmaggie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 June 23 17:06 BST (UK) »
To amondg - thank you so much for your help - I have transcribed the will and am now using the information to fill some blanks in and search for more information.    I will let you know how I get on.
Ellenmaggie

Offline ellenmaggie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 21 June 23 17:08 BST (UK) »
I have come across the name William Thrift - Mary Parker and George Parker were living with him in 1841 - Mary is down as independent.   More trails to follow.

Ellenmaggie

Offline ellenmaggie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 15 January 24 17:55 GMT (UK) »
I have now found out more about Mary Merrett.   I believe she is the daughter of Elizabeth Merrot (1772-1824) and Edward Battle, as I found a baptismal record for a Mary Merrett in Medstead 15 May 1791 - the daughter of Elizabeth Merrot - reputed father Edward Battle, a pauper.  Elizabeth Merrot was the daughter of John Merrit (1754-1800) and Rachel Sharrier (1753-1800).   This was confirmed by a DNA match for a descendant of Patience Merrot (born 1775, daughter of John and Rachel) and James Morgan.

Now looking for a link between James Parker who left some of his lands to George and John Parker.