Author Topic: Ancestry Autosomal DNA Shared DNA Smaller Than Longest Block  (Read 207 times)

Offline 4b2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ancestry Autosomal DNA Shared DNA Smaller Than Longest Block
« on: Wednesday 21 June 23 13:42 BST (UK) »
Good evening,

I have noticed many of my matches on Ancestry have a larger longest block than shared DNA.

As an example, I have one match who we will call Ann. Ancestry provides the following breakdown:

Shared DNA: 23 cM across 1 segments
Unweighted shared DNA: 41 cM
Longest segment: 41 cM

Yet on FamilyTree DNA, the same person is listed as:

Shared DNA: 44cm
Longest block: 44cm

The FTDNA chromosome browser give the match as - 43.85cm in one segment.

I have noticed the same with numerous matches between Ancestry, MyHeritage + FTDNA.

Is anyone able to explain what is going on?

I am using DNAPainter's tool to add matches in to suggest the most likely link, and I don't know what I should be added of how much the data from Ancestry can be relied on.

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry Autosomal DNA Shared DNA Smaller Than Longest Block
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 June 23 17:10 BST (UK) »
Look at how each of the DNA companies process the samples and how they analyse the data, each is different resulting in different presented data.

Ancestry also has their Timber algorithm on lower cM matches which affects the presented results.

Offline phil57

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 June 23 17:15 BST (UK) »
Ancestry use their own software algorithm called Timber which aims to strip out segments of DNA that they believe are not actually evidence of a close genetic relationship, but instead consist of areas of DNA more commonly found to be identical across multiple people whose ancestors originate from a specific region.

The overall match length that Ancestry quote is the length calculated after Timber has removed any such regions. But they also show the "unweighted" match length, which is the length of the match before the Timber algorithm had been applied, and the longest segment is also based on the unweighted match.

So in the example you have given, you have a 41 cM match with Ann. The match is across a single segment, because the longest segment length is the same as the overall unweighted length.

But Timber believes that 18 cM of that match is more likely to be derived from a general population similarity, rather than a close genetic match, so it has removed that portion of the match and left you with a shared match of 23 cM, still of course within that single segment.

Most other test providers don't carry out any manipulation of the overall match length, so Ancestry's unweighted match length is often more likely to approximate the match lengths reported for the same individuals by other companies.

But it can be useful when comparing matches between closely related people on Ancestry.
Stokes - London and Essex
Hodges - Somerset
Murden - Notts
Humphries/Humphreys from Montgomeryshire

Offline 4b2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 June 23 18:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the knowledgeable replies.