Author Topic: History of a building  (Read 693 times)

Offline dmc1234

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: History of a building
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 22 June 23 09:06 BST (UK) »
That is so helpful thank you very much, so the 5th building was nt in that row at least since 1914 . I wonder if the long building is then the South City Iron works . Thank you again for all.the support really helpful

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 22 June 23 09:20 BST (UK) »
Looking at the Google satellite image of the area, there is certainly a building set back behind numbers 1a to 4a with an entrance just north of 1a. Could this be the Myra Glass store than Sinann has found? It wouldn't logically be numbered 5a, but who knows. Looking at street view today it doesn't look as if the alleyway leading to that building is the main access - no number, door bell or letter box - just solid wooden gates with a Yale lock and a tiny notice above, presumably explaining how to access the property or contact the key holder.
https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3387756,-6.2731686,58m/data=!3m1!1e3?entry=ttu

From the same satellite image, the space behind the small terrace accessed through the gap between 4a and 1 Lauderdale terrace certainly might have contained a house at some stage, but clearly what's there now is part of the newer building on New Street South (the main street to the east of New Row.) 

Also on streetview, the building which would, logically speaking, be 1 New Row South, with a grey door, is now subdivided into flats. I don't think that this building might once have been 5a, because it's clearly the same age as the surrounding buildings and therefore would have been numbered at the same time they were.
https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3389411,-6.2733291,3a,75y,136.78h,91.93t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sU3tSd647AvH3ZH7ACYxfAA!2e0!5s20211101T000000!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 22 June 23 09:46 BST (UK) »
The current satellite view of the yard off New Row/Lauderdale Terr. is the same view as looking at the 1914 map. The same shape, except the 1914 view includes that long building that runs at right angles to the Row/Lauderdale Terr and backs on to the garden of No 4.
Unfortunately, the zoom function cuts out before a clear view can be delivered but using a magnifying glass shows hatching on the long building similar to the hatching on the houses in the Row. That building is long gone. 

Offline dmc1234

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 22 June 23 10:23 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for investigating , it is all a bit odd with the numbering isn't it. I have been there is person and the gap is house sized and a local guide told us it had been knocked down but from older maps it appears the gap has always been there.  It certainly seems that 5 or 5a was some kind of metal works or unit like that   which is strange as my gf used it as an address, but I don't know what his profession was , he has a very common name which makes it tricky to track more detail , I did wonder if he bought it as an auctioned property and used it as an address for a while

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 22 June 23 10:48 BST (UK) »
Looking at newspaper snippets on FindMyPast, there are various advertisements re factory spaces etc in 1960s.
21st July 1967, Irish Times mentions Planning Applications, New Row South but unfortunately, I can’t check the rest.
I just wondered if it might mention numbers/buildings but, of course, it may have no relevance at all. :-\
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 22 June 23 12:46 BST (UK) »
Outline permission being sought for the erection of a warehouse for P Barrett & Sons Ltd.
Exazct location not specified.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 22 June 23 13:03 BST (UK) »
Oh thanks. I was hopeful that there would be more details. ::)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 22 June 23 13:19 BST (UK) »
dmc1234

I think the only way to resolve this query is to try again to access the electoral registers. I know you said that you had previously contacted Dublin library and they said the ERs weren't available, and their website confirms this:
The Dublin City Electoral Lists 1937-64 have been taken down from this site.
For more information, please e-mail cityarchives@dublincity.ie
However I'm sure that they must be available to researchers who can visit in person, and so it might be worth asking the library staff how you can go about getting the details you are after. In my experience you can quite often get an archivist to do a quick check for free, or for just a few pounds, if you are specific about what you are after. Any thing more extensive, such as a search over a couple of decades, might require the hiring of a local researcher.

Another set of contact details here:

Dublin and Irish Collections
Telephone Number +353 1 2224999
Email Address dublinstudies@dublincity.ie

Also this website: https://www.irishfamilyhistorycentre.com/article/electoral-registers-in-ireland/ mentions that electoral registers for Dublin are held at the Gilbert Library. I assume this is a different place to the City Library.

Offline dmc1234

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 22 June 23 13:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks Andy, and thanks for all of replies and investigating really appreciated. Yes I will try that line again , it was someone typical that when I visited the library was shut , it was Easter but not the best timing on my part . I will do as you suggest and see what might be available, I don't mind paying a reasonable fee if needed etc