Author Topic: History of a building  (Read 691 times)

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: History of a building
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 21 June 23 19:15 BST (UK) »
That didn't work :(
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 21 June 23 19:17 BST (UK) »
NewRow,South.Dublin Heritage Databases.

It shows ratepayers in 1915.I couldn't see a 5a.
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline dmc1234

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 21 June 23 19:23 BST (UK) »
Ah interesting thank you, does that mean it isn't a dwelling ? Odd that in 1952 it is listed in Thoms with an occupier but is Thoms more about retail /commercial property?

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 21 June 23 20:13 BST (UK) »
Here's an extract from the 1910 Thom's directory for Dublin.It doesn't list 5a, only 5 which appears immediately before the 'intersection' with Lauderdale Terrace. Interestingly Taylor H is listed at both 5 New Row and 1 Lauderdale Terr. along with Mr Harry Taylor at 2a New Row - the same person maybe?

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 21 June 23 20:32 BST (UK) »
When going along New Row on Google street view.Just befor Lauderdale starts there's Garafitti gate standing back...Would that have been 5a?

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 21 June 23 20:34 BST (UK) »
The 1911 house and Building return has Patrick Simmons as Head of family residing at No 5.

Offline dmc1234

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 21 June 23 20:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks Andy that is interesting re Thoms, I wonder if I can find anything out from that. It does say 5a in the Thoms from 1952 apparently. Also I have a letter written gf that has that address on it 5a dated 1957 I think. Gf was Robert Young .

Hepburn thank you yes that is right its a gate to a yard , apparently the local guide said that was 5a until it was knocked down

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 21 June 23 20:39 BST (UK) »
The Irish times, 1 Nov 1864 published a letter complaining about the state of No 5 New Row, South. " ...In a dangerous state and the front wall must fall shortly."

But somewhat before your period of interest.

Offline dmc1234

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 21 June 23 20:41 BST (UK) »
The 1911 house and Building return has Patrick Simmons as Head of family residing at No 5.

Thank you Hanes Teulu, that is interesting! i wonder if it wasn't known as 5a at that time then 🤔 . Apparently it was pulled down sometime in 1960s 70s so it managed to survive a bit longer , if it is the same building