Author Topic: Charles CLAPHAMs of Leeds  (Read 200 times)

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Charles CLAPHAMs of Leeds
« on: Thursday 22 June 23 06:47 BST (UK) »
There were at least three Charles CLAPHAMs in Leeds from about 1750 to 1810, which at various times have been misinterpreted as being the same person, as evident by a large number of trees on Ancestry.

I thought I would put it all down as I see things and see what others think.

Charles the 1st
The first Charles was born in Leeds on 9 Dec 1731, son of Charles CLAPHAM and Hannah STEPHENSON. He married Rebecca MIDDLETON on 9 Jun 1766 at Southam, Warwickshire. The marriages states he is of St Peter in Leeds, and he signs as Charles Clapham Junr.

This Charles was an Overseer of the Poor in Leeds for the Mill Hill area. He was also a member of the Common Council in Leeds in 1798 for Seacroft.

He died in 1803 and left a will which is online. He names his wife Rebecca and various nieces and nephews, not having any children of his own.

This Charles did NOT marry Alice PARKINSON.

Charles the 2nd
On the various parish records, this Charles is stated as being “of Mirfield”. When he married Ann BURNHILL at Leeds St Peter on 4 Jun 1766 it states he is “of Mirfield”. This also appears on baptisms for his children.

He was born in Mirfield in 1737, the son of George CLAPHAM and Dorothy MARSHALL.

Believe he is the Charles who died in Welton, Yorkshire in 1811, and whose will is online.

This Charles did NOT marry Alice PARKINSON, or run an alehouse or pub that I can see.

Charles the 3rd
This Charles was born 1739-40 going on his age at death. He died at the Irwin Arms in Holbeck on 19 Dec 1799 aged 59. He was the licensee there having moved there about 1790.

This Charles did marry Alice PARKINSON at Leeds St Peter on 21 May 1764. They had two children George born Dec 1764 and Thomas in Apr 1766. Alice died at Leeds on 15 May 1770 aged 26 of consumption and was buried at Leeds St Peter.

This Charles married again on 4 Jan 1773 to Sarah WILKINSON, and they had six children. After Charles’ death in 1799 Sarah and one of her sons moved to Wakefield. Charles was buried at Leeds St Peter with his first wife Alice. Sarah died in 1819 and was buried in Wakefield.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/235786202/charles-clapham

I have a theory where this Charles came from, but at the moment that is all it is, a theory.

What does everybody else think?

Ian C
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Charles CLAPHAMs of Leeds
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 June 23 16:52 BST (UK) »
Have you ruled out the 6th March 1740 baptism at Tadcaster to Thomas Clapham?

What is your current theory?

Queenie  :)
Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Charles CLAPHAMs of Leeds
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 June 23 11:06 BST (UK) »
Queenie

Charles' son Charles from his second marriage that went to Wakefield had two daughters and when they both got married one of the witnesses at their weddings was a grandson of John Clapham born in Tadcaster about 1734, son of Thomas.

So the Charles born 1740 seems a likely candidate at this stage, but no proof.

Ian C
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk