Author Topic: 28 Grosvenor Crescent, Upper Mount Street Tunstall 1929  (Read 237 times)

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
28 Grosvenor Crescent, Upper Mount Street Tunstall 1929
« on: Thursday 22 June 23 14:53 BST (UK) »
I amtrying to establish this location in 1929 where my grandfather lived with his parents. I can see that Upper Mount Street is now Hawes street- any idea how the house numbering would work now?
I cannot trace Grosvenor Crescent either although I can see that there is now Grosvenor Place now at the end of Bank street running from Hawes Street.

Would really like to establish the location of 28 Grosvenor Crescent Upper Mount Street as it is today if possible. Many of the family lay in Tunstall cemetery nearby.

Any help much appreciated

Caroline
Roots/Day/Atkins - (Essex/Suffolk/ London)Bourne/Milner/Corden-(Staffs/Shrops/Cheshire)
Wood/Gibbs/Battrick/Fall/Budden-(Dorset)

Online AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 28 Grosvenor Crescent, Upper Mount Street Tunstall 1929
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 June 23 18:28 BST (UK) »
Possibly you know all of this, but in the 1939 register there are only four households listed for Grosvenor Crescent: 26, 28, 30 and 32. There are no Grosvenor Crescent addresses in 1921. I think Grosvenor Crescent was actually part of Upper Mount Street.

In 1921 Herbert Bourne, Alice Bourne and family are at 28 Upper Mount Street.
In January 1939 the death of Herbert Bourne of 28 Grosvenor Crescent.

In the 1939 register Alice Bourne, widow is at 28 Grosvenor Crescent.
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Online AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 June 23 18:34 BST (UK) »
In the 1939 register the sequence is:
Starts with 86 King Street, numbers counting down
Upper Mount Street starts at 59 counts down odd numbers to #3
67 Summerbank Road
32-26 Grosvenor Crescent
24 Lyndhurst Street
Lyndhurst Street continues counting down, even numbers
Cemetery House
one address in Bank Street
one address Lyndhurst Road?
one address Sure Street
one address Flint Terrace

Looking at the an old OS map, since King Street makes a junction at the south end of Upper Mount Street, and Lyndhurst Street makes a junction at the north end, Grosvenor Crescent would be at the north end of Upper Mount Street.

Also, south of the King Street junction it looks on the map as if Upper Mount Street becomes America Street.

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 June 23 18:47 BST (UK) »
Thank you! I think that is pretty conclusive that 28 Upper Mount Street became 28 Grosvenor Crescent - my mother always referred to the Bourne family living at Upper Mount Street and never mentioned Grosvenor Crescent- my grandfathers address on the marriage cert in 1929 shows as 28 Grosvenor Crescent, Upper Mount Street, Tunstall- so I guess that all makes sense! Thank you.

Now I need to find out if 28 Upper Mount Street/Grosvenor Crescent - is now the same as 28 Hawes street - what do you think?
Roots/Day/Atkins - (Essex/Suffolk/ London)Bourne/Milner/Corden-(Staffs/Shrops/Cheshire)

Online AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 June 23 19:10 BST (UK) »
 just been on StreetView. It looks as if Lyndhurst Street is now Jacqueline Street. There is a terrace running from 21-27 Hawes Street that looks like it could have been Upper Mount Street. My hunch would be that Grosvenor Crescent would have been on the other side of the street, and I'm afraid that has all been redeveloped.

Do you have reason to believe that 28 Hawes Street exists?

Online AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 June 23 19:24 BST (UK) »
In the 1939 Register at 32 Grosvenor Crescent is the Frost family, parents plus 9 children (probably, there are some redactions). The family includes Ambrose Frost, age 6.

The earliest newspaper article that I can find for Hawes Street, Tunstall is a report from August 1951 of the committal of Ambrose Frost, aged 18, scrap dealer for theft of a car battery. His address is 32 Hawes Street, Tunstall.

So it looks as though the numbers persisted after the street name changed.

Note for moderator: Ambrose Frost died in 1983

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 June 23 19:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for all your help Alan- really appreciate it. I am hoping to visit Tunstall cemetery again tomorrow- i did try to locate the addresses before Covid and came to the same conclusion that most of the housing has probably been demolished and redeveloped- even tried to visit 3 Clive street in Tunstall where my mothers aunt lived- all the houses still in situ apart from 1,3 and 5 which is now scrubland! I think I may have to accept most of the family houses have now gone. My other issue is trying to locate King Street wesleyan Church Tunstall in 1929 where my grandparents married- I think King Street is now Madison Street possibly- and again - no sign of a church? My mothers aunt who lived in Clive street attended there for many years- in fact she was a witness at the wedding in 1929- I would so love to locate that building too! Any hope?

Online AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 June 23 20:01 BST (UK) »
Bad news again I think. Yes, I agree King Street is now Madison Street. Turning into the street from Hawes Street the Chapel was on the right, almost immediately, and is still there on the 1967 1:10000 OS map. Looking at StreetView, there is a vacant site there now, and then modern housing.

Offline ChrissieL

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ben and John Hardman meeting up in Cairo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 22 June 23 22:40 BST (UK) »
Although you have managed to sort out the streets and their new names this link may be helpful. It lists the name changes made in the early 1950s for Tunstall

http://www.thepotteries.org/streets/re_dist_15.htm

Chris
Staffordshire: Lawton Probyn Horrobin
Durham: Bamlett Hardman Winship Robinson
Suffolk: Leggett