Author Topic: John Weston of Mayfield  (Read 512 times)

Online DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
John Weston of Mayfield
« on: Thursday 22 June 23 16:15 BST (UK) »
I am descended from John Weston, b. Mayfield (1851 and 1861 census), ca 1790.  The closest match I could find is a baptism on 13 Sep 1789, son of John and Sarah (presumably nee Romery).  They seem to have a number of children baptized in Mayfield.
John was a miller, as were a number of Westons from Mayfield.  In 1861 he is living with my ancestor, Mary Weston Errey along with her husband Jabez and Jabez' father Edward Errey, in Warbleton.  He is a proprietor of houses.
Wondering if anyone else is sorting out the Westons of Mayfield and have organized the various Johns. (My John married Ann Paine).

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: John Weston of Mayfield
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 June 23 18:20 BST (UK) »
Have you checked the Surname Interests Board
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 June 23 08:44 BST (UK) »
Have a look at The Weald website

https://theweald.org/N10.asp?ID=385685

Scroll down to find the Johns which are in birth order.

Here's the tree for John born 1789

https://theweald.org/N10.asp?ID=385685
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 June 23 09:09 BST (UK) »
1831. To be sold by auction by Mr Durrant at the Star Inn, Mayfield, Saturday 13 Aug 1831 at 3 pm under the will of John Weston, deceased, the Water Mill called Merry-Weathers and the dwelling house contiguous-- Also the wind mill at a short distance and about 6 acres Also the productive farm Merryweathers and Little Luckerscrouch Abt 60 acres + buildings etc etc From Sussex Advertiser. I think this John 1747-1831 married Sarah Johnson in 1775.
He was the son of Mary Burtenshaw, born Bolney Sussex and John Weston 1724-1785 . Married Feb 1743 at Nuthurst.
Burt, Cockrill, Craske, Debenham, Double, Grimwade, Grimwood, Hilder, Mayhew, Ray. All from  West Suffolk around the Bury St. Edmunds area.
Simpson, Pittendreigh, Arthur.   Aberdeenshire

Online ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 June 23 13:38 BST (UK) »
Hi
Have you looked at the Wills on Ancestry?
John Weston the Elder Miller of Mayfield 1787
Mill to son John ,other house to son Edward Millwright of Chiddingley
Daughter Hannah Stevens of Heathfield widow.(Married Henry at Mayfield 12.8.1764 and she seems to be bapt 14.2.1741 d of John and Catherine and Edward 13.9.1744 but no sign John).

John and Ann did have a son Edward so that could tie up.
I'm guessing John junior born c 1737 married an Elizabeth and had children 1758-1778
And if I had to guess I'd have gone with a John and Lucy Weston nee Upton married 1793  having children in the 1790s but again no sign of a son called John.

There is a Mills index with your John on
https://new.millsarchive.org/search/?match=all&criteria=Name+%28any+part%29%7Econtains%7Eweston&offset=50&class=Person2

but that doesn't get you any further back.
John and Ann baptised all their children at the Heathfield Independent chapel so it does look like they are non-conformists.

Ciderdrinker

Online DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 June 23 13:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your help and suggestions.  There are just too many Weston millers and too many Johns!  There may be something to the Lucy Upton theory, as John named a daughter Lucy.  He may also be the same miller listed on the last site sent to me, as he was at Lewes in 1841.

Just for the heck of it, his death information:
Death certificate...He was 78, died at the Dicker, Hellingly, formerly a farmer at Chiddingly, died of heart disease "years", certified, informer was Henry Wenham, in attendance of the Dicker, Hellingly.

Newspaper account:
We regret to announce the death of old and respected inhabitant. Mr. John Weston, of the Dicker, aged 78 years. It appears, upon inquiry, that the deceased was in the act of undressing himself, last Sunday night, the 14th inst.. and while stooping to take off some of his garments he suddenly fell and was instantly corpse! It was not considered necessary to hold inquest, he having suffered for a considerable time with disease of the heart, and his medical attendant having cautioned him against stooping, least such posture might accelerate his end. His remains were followed to the grave by a great number of relatives and friends. (Tuesday, 22 Apr 1861, Sussex Agricultural Express)

Sadly, no actual names of his relatives at the funeral.  John was in Warbleton 1861 census yet died a few days later in Hellingly.  The age is a little off, too, I think I need to find out if this is actually "my" John.

Online DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 June 23 14:03 BST (UK) »
I am now going through newspaper references in the BNA for anything I can think of - John Weston, Weston/Mayfield, Edward Weston, etc., it will take me a while!

Online DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 23 June 23 16:00 BST (UK) »
After going through everything I have, I realize the John Weston who died in Hellingly in 1861 is not my guy - too old, and he is on the 1861 census for Hellingly with a wife Mary.
Back to the drawing board!

Online DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 23 June 23 16:14 BST (UK) »
I am on the trail now...found a John Weston Upton, son of Lucy, baptized in Mayfield in March 1790, and later John Weston (bachelor) and Lucy get married, in 1793.  My John names his first daughter Lucy. 
Not hard proof of course, but I will keep digging.