Author Topic: Clive Street Tunstall- a long shot!  (Read 331 times)

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Clive Street Tunstall- a long shot!
« Reply #9 on: Friday 23 June 23 20:19 BST (UK) »
? This probably doesn't relate.  No idea of birth dates etc.  This does however mention a Pottery and quite a story.

Staffordshire Sentinel -Saturday 14 November 1920

WOUNDING CHARGE AT TUNSTALL

Alleged Shooting of a Girl at a Factory

Youth Remanded on Bail.

A 14 year old girl, Annie BOURNE of 6 Haywood Street, Burslem, was on Friday conveyed to the North Staffordshire Infirmary, said to be suffering from a bullet wound.

It is stated that a Tunstall youth was showing her a resolver at the Brownhills Pottery (Messrs. George Clews and Co., Ltd. yesterday afternoon, when it went off.

Both are employed at the pottery.

(It is quite along article) and ends by saying The Girl was operated on and that it proved impossible to locate the bullet, which is stated to be in the lower part of the body.

Online AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Clive Street Tunstall- a long shot!
« Reply #10 on: Friday 23 June 23 20:55 BST (UK) »
If you go to the top right hand corner of the linked map you will see Clive Street, and at its eastern end is Greengates Pottery. Was this the one?

https://maps.nls.uk/view/115470387

Greengates Pottery was run by William Adams & Co. Follow the link in my reply #3 and it is the first company listed. There is a lot of information at the linked page. If you scroll right down, near the bottom there is even an image of a gold-rimmed bowl.
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Clive Street Tunstall- a long shot! COMPLETED
« Reply #11 on: Friday 23 June 23 21:08 BST (UK) »
Thank you both- there now seems to be 2 lines of research happening in this thread!
The Annie Bourne shooting incident is most definitely not part of my story! The Bourne surname is prolific in the area so please do not worry any more on that.

Yes- I had started to look at the list of the potteries near Clive Street Tunstall and must admit I had looked at Greengates - but not sure as they seemed to make predominantly stoneware which is quite heavy duty and my Auntie Annie was painting gold rings on bone china!
Please do not worry any more on this - you have both done far more than I could ever have expected.

Many thanks to you both
Roots/Day/Atkins - (Essex/Suffolk/ London)Bourne/Milner/Corden-(Staffs/Shrops/Cheshire)
Wood/Gibbs/Battrick/Fall/Budden-(Dorset)