Author Topic: Agnes Anderson Cove/Coldingham  (Read 365 times)

Offline Lauraenmorrison

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Agnes Anderson Cove/Coldingham
« on: Friday 23 June 23 19:25 BST (UK) »
Good evening, could anyone help me with information regarding my great great grandmother. She was called Agnes Anderson and was born at the Cove (cockburnspath) circa 1842. I can find a birth certificate but know this from census records. Her sister Elizabeth was 2 years older than her and she married Jacob Nisbet and had 4 daughters. Elizabeth dies in 1866 and it would appear her younger sister moved in to look after the children of her sister but then went on to have many children with her brother in law and is listed as housekeeper in the census. All the children's birth certificates state illegitimate and the informant is Jacob so we know he was the father. Obviously they couldn't marry but I can't find a birth or a death certificate for Agnes under Anderson or Nisbet and can't find a marriage certificate in case she went onto marry after Jacob died. The last census I have her listed in is the 1901 one at StAbbs (Coldingham shore). I have tried so many different ways to search for information on Ancestry and Scotlands people but nothing!!! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Agnes Anderson Cove/Coldingham
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 June 23 20:57 BST (UK) »
Have you tried the 1911 census for a 69 yr old Agnes Nisbet in Coldingham, reference number at Scotlandspeople  of 732/1 1/22 ?

At the same reference number there is:
John age 35
Ella age 4
Jacob age 2
Andrew age 24
Agnes age 0
Mary age 32

Could that be her sons, a daughter-in-law, and grandchildren with her?

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 June 23 23:16 BST (UK) »
SP have an Agnes Anderson death in Coldingham in 1916

Also in 1916 - Agnes Nisbet in Eyemouth - mmn Hood

Both shown as aged 73

1927 Coldingham Agnes Anderson aged 87 - mmn Nicol

Her sisters death cert in 1866 should show both parents names and mothers maiden name (mmn)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Lauraenmorrison

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 June 23 09:24 BST (UK) »
Many thanks, I do have her on the 1911 census living with her youngest son Andrew and still at the same address where she had lived for several decades. Her son John is also on the same page of the census but at a different address with his family in St Abbs. Her mothers maiden name was Bell as this is recorded on her sisters death certificate but I can’t find a birth or death certificate for Agnes with either Anderson or Nisbet as a surname. I understand that the lack of birth certificates for her or her siblings might be explained by the fact that this happened at the time in the 1830/40s. However she must have died post 1911 so there must be a death certificate?

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 June 23 07:49 BST (UK) »
Have you looked at the 1921 census there is a Agnes Nesbit age 79 Coldingham
Ref number 732/1/9

On the valuation records there is a Mrs Agnes Nisbet ( widow)
Address House Under Row St Coldingham she is there  from 1905  to 1926

I would take a chance on the death Carole mentioned in 1927 Coldingham the informant might have got the mothers maiden name wrong .I don't see any other deaths around that time for a Agnes Nesbit/Nisbet

Rosie

Offline Lauraenmorrison

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 June 23 09:04 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Rosie, I had never used the valuation roll before. It was the correct address so I did take a chance with Carole’s suggestion and downloaded that certificate and yes it was her. Don’t know why it states Nicol on the search return as the cruel document has the correct maiden name of Bell?? It was my great grandfather who was the informant so I know it’s the correct certificate. Many thanks everyone for your help, I guess there is no birth certificates because they didn’t register the births?? Thanks again,

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 25 June 23 09:17 BST (UK) »
Glad it was the right certificate for you I thought it might have been going by the valuation records..Regarding the birth records before 1855 a lot of births  were not registered
I have the same problem with some of mine  ;)

Rosie

Offline Lauraenmorrison

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 25 June 23 09:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks Rosie,

the actual death certificate did have “Bell” as the maiden name on it but the search return said Nicol which meant I didn’t want to use my credits since I thought it was the wrong record but glad I did as this was really annoying me. I think you are right about birth certificates as it appears Jacob didn’t marry either of the sisters and all children were born illegitimate so I don’t think these formalities were important to them!!

Thanks again.

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 25 June 23 09:27 BST (UK) »
Your welcome  :)

Rosie