Author Topic: Korean War Medal  (Read 186 times)

Offline liver007

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Korean War Medal
« on: Sunday 25 June 23 15:50 BST (UK) »
This a long shot. I am trying to find out if my late uncle received The Korean Medal?

I don’t have my uncles Regimental Number all I have is:
Henry Arthur Hearn known as “Harry”
He served in the Army for 22 years and he served with the RAOC - Royal Army Ordnance Corps.

Thanks Keith
Ryan - Liverpool
Tierney - Liverpool
Hearn - Suffolk, London, Midlands, West Lancashire. Liverpool.
Woodside - Liverpool, Midlands, Scotland, Wigtown.
Petersen/Peterson - Denmark, Hull, Liverpool
King - Hereford - Pencoyd, Monmouth
Harvey - Liverpool
Gray - Liverpool

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Korean War Medal
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 June 23 20:16 BST (UK) »
I don't think the medal rolls for the Queen's Korea Medal have been published. How sure are you that he might have gone to Korea? Only 14,198 British servicemen went as part of the UN contingent, at a time when the Army alone was 364,000 strong, so fewer than 4% served in Korea.
Your best bet is to get his service documents from the MOD and then once you have his Army number, apply to the MOD Medal Office Historical Section to see if he was awarded the Korea Medal. The number, rank, name, initials and regiment of every recipient was engraved around the edge of the medal.

Offline liver007

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 June 23 20:20 BST (UK) »
I don't think the medal rolls for the Queen's Korea Medal have been published. How sure are you that he might have gone to Korea? Only 14,198 British servicemen went as part of the UN contingent, at a time when the Army alone was 364,000 strong, so fewer than 4% served in Korea.
Your best bet is to get his service documents from the MOD and then once you have his Army number, apply to the MOD Medal Office Historical Section to see if he was awarded the Korea Medal. The number, rank, name, initials and regiment of every recipient was engraved around the edge of the medal.
Ryan - Liverpool
Tierney - Liverpool
Harvey - Liverpool
Gray - Liverpool

Offline liver007

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 June 23 20:20 BST (UK) »

Thanks for the update, I am awaiting my cousins reply 👍
Ryan - Liverpool
Tierney - Liverpool
Harvey - Liverpool
Gray - Liverpool