Author Topic: 1941 Operation Crusader wounded - Casualty Clearing Stations  (Read 169 times)

Offline vapcq45

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1941 Operation Crusader wounded - Casualty Clearing Stations
« on: Sunday 25 June 23 17:01 BST (UK) »
Can anyone kindly tell me where it is most likely a wounded man from 8th Royal Tank Regiment as part of 13 Corps and 1st Armoured Division might have been taken?  Looking at 8th December 1941.

Was there a CCS?  If so where?
Would he have been sent to a Hospital ship or back to Alexandria?

Would be great to get an idea of what happened.

Many thanks.

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1941 Operation Crusader wounded - Casualty Clearing Stations
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 June 23 21:19 BST (UK) »
Each brigade (so 1st Army Tank Brigade in this instance) should have had its own dedicated Field Ambulance which would have been responsible for recovering casualties from the Regimental Aid Post and after triage, backloading the more seriously wounded either to a CCS or direct to a Field Hospital (if urgent surgery was required, a Fd Hosp had better facilities). However I haven't able to discover if this was the case with 1st Army Tank Bde. My understanding is, at that stage in the war, if a casualty was sufficiently badly wounded or ill, he would have been sent back to the BMH in Alexandria for convalescence.

Offline vapcq45

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1941 Operation Crusader wounded - Casualty Clearing Stations
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 June 23 09:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks Andy, great information.  I'd like to find out the location of the CCS or Field Hospital that would have covered the 1st Army Tank Brigade or better, 13 Corps during 22-14 Dec specifically.  Hopefully someone might have this info - worth a try!

I can't find anything online on how the many wounded were looked after, as yet anyway.

Thanks again!