Author Topic: How Many Pre-1871 Deaths are Online on IrishGenealogy.ie?  (Read 376 times)

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline cwatterson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Researching in all four provinces of Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Pre-1871 Deaths are Online on IrishGenealogy.ie?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 June 23 14:29 BST (UK) »
Not enough! I've had to use GRO NI to pay for some pre-1871 records in Down and Antrim (so far managing to correctly ID the records I wanted first!)

There are some transcribed already for some areas - for example I accessed some pre-1871 deaths in Clare on rootsireland.

It can be really useful to have the informant listed, sometimes unblocks some relationship quite far back on the tree. Even when it's who you expect, along with residence etc. it can really confirm you have the right record for the person you are researching. And of course we sometimes have so little information about these people that the cause of death can be of interest. Not a pre-1871, but for example, one such ancestor of mine it perhaps gives an indication of occupational hazard, for a "hackler" (i.e. flax comber or operating machinery for same) dying of long-standing bronchitis in his 50s.

Having the exact date of death also allows a match to grave inscriptions, or a trawl of the local death notices the next day or two, even when the newspapers are too poorly OCRed to hit on searches by name. At least GRO NI provides the date without needing to pay - plus you can filter by registration sub-district as well (e.g. Donaghadee, not just Newtownards). But for the rest of Ireland you need to hope you can get a transcription elsewhere.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 July 23 12:42 BST (UK) »
Perhaps someone has the answer as to why these are not online?  What is the issue?

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 July 23 16:40 BST (UK) »
Perhaps someone has the answer as to why these are not online?  What is the issue?

I think I read on Claire Santry’s blog that 1 member of staff is working on them when other work permits, but not to hold your breath.
Elwyn