Author Topic: Jeremiah Griffiths 1789-1874  (Read 689 times)

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jeremiah Griffiths 1789-1874
« on: Monday 26 June 23 08:26 BST (UK) »
Hello

I am hoping someone can help. I am trying to find the ancestors of Jeremiah Griffiths 1789-1874 of Llanelly (Five Roads area). They are proving to be elusive! The attached transcription of a newspaper article on him that I found on-line gives much more detail about Jeremiah. It says he was brought up at Clochyrie Farm, Felinfoel, so perhaps any articles on the history of this farm would be useful but I haven’t found any. May be others can? It also mentions a cousin Isaac Griffiths of Minhurtach and I have researched him as much as I can without any clues to his link to Jeremiah.

Having a copy of the original article to check details would also be useful. It states it is from the Llanelly Star 30 Aug 1990 but I have searched this edition and can’t find it. Searching for terms in the article also doesn’t provide any results. I suspect the original article was in Welsh. A WJ Griffiths, wrote several articles about Jeremiah and his descendants which were all in Welsh, so this article may have been by him and therefore in Welsh.

Hoping someone can be of help

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jeremiah Griffiths 1789-1874
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 June 23 10:35 BST (UK) »

I wonder, however born 20 March 1792?
On freereg.

Jeremiah GRIFFITHS   Baptism   21 Mar 1792   Caernarfonshire   Clynnog Fawr : St Beuno : Parish Register

Father forename   Griffith
Mother forename   Rachael
Father surname   GRIFFITHS
Person abode   Maes Mawr
Father occupation   Yeoman

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 June 23 11:37 BST (UK) »
Found a couple of references in Welsh to Clochyrie/Clochyrie Fach - don't add a lot eg "Dafydd and Catherine Davies, Stepfield Row, formerly of Clochyrie Fach"; "Ann Mainwaring, Clochyrie Fach". Need to check further.

Another reference has "Jeremiah Griffiths, Brondeini". Found Brondini, Brondini Fach, Brondini Fawr   north of Horeb - see south east corner of map
https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/23973/page/2319

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 June 23 11:57 BST (UK) »
Burials in Horeb - Jeremiah Griffiths, Feb 3 1874, 85 years old. This is "Hen Broffwyd" Horeb, father of Mr Cornelius Griffiths, Cardiff.

A tribute/obit in the Seren Gomer very light on biographical info ie.
"died 3rd Dec 1874; baptised 1814 (not a typo), Felinfoel by Daniel Davies; father of the Rev C Griffiths, Cinderford".

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 June 23 12:29 BST (UK) »

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 June 23 12:45 BST (UK) »
This has Horeb's records with those of Adulam - available via Dyfed FHS?
https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/CMN/Llanelli/Chapels

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 June 23 13:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the replies and useful link to Clochyrie on the map.

The Caernarfonshire baptism is not him. I read somewhere else that he was baptised when around 14/15 which fits in with the reference from the newspaper article you have found. From the now extinct ukgenealogy site I have a copy of the transcript of Adulam records. There is a baptism entry for a Jeremiah Griffiths on 18 Apr 1814 which fits but sadly it does not provide any other details.

You would have thought Jeremiah Griffithses would be relatively uncommon but to add to the confusion there are few of them around. I think the Jeremiah of Brondini is a different one from a different line but not sure.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 26 June 23 15:59 BST (UK) »
Without checking I think the Brondeini reference was something to do with Horeb burials.
Will check later - but now sun above the yard arm somewhere in the world and mention of Felinfoel has triggered "Double Dragon" thoughts.

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 26 June 23 21:01 BST (UK) »
Without checking I think the Brondeini reference was something to do with Horeb burials.
Will check later - but now sun above the yard arm somewhere in the world and mention of Felinfoel has triggered "Double Dragon" thoughts.

Hi

Hope any double dragons haven’t clouded your thoughts!

If you can find out the Jeremiah Brondini reference that would be very useful as looking back through my notes I have a Jeremiah and Mary (address Brondini (or variations thereof) having children baptised in St. Elli, Llanelly (Glyn Hamlet) in 1790 (Mary) and 1792 (William) but not much else on them.

If he has links to Horeb then there may be some connection with the other Jeremiah

Regards