Author Topic: Elm House, Walton, Liverpool  (Read 395 times)

Offline Uncle Gromit

• RootsChat Extra
  • Greetings from Tasmania
    • View Profile
Re: Elm House, Walton, Liverpool
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 28 June 23 02:17 BST (UK) »
My thanks to all of you who have been so kind and helpful.  I went to sleep, last night, having posted this and you have all replied with relevant and concise information.    It makes sense that it was part of the Workhouse.  My Gt Grandfather John Ewing (1850), sort of 'disappeared' and the family story was...missing at sea.  My Gt Grandmother was then listed on the census 1901 as a Widow and the younger kids ended up at Nash Grove Ragged School.   I've done quite well with most of them but, while I could look on the Workhouse census, it gives names and ages but no record of the individual.  Does anybody happen to know if there are 'human' records of the individuals, please?  As John Ewing had no connections whatsoever with going to sea, it's possible that, if he went into Elm House it became easier to give a good excuse.
Once again, many, many thanks.   Dave Wallace
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 28 June 23 09:44 BST (UK) »
Uncle Gromit, can you please give a 1901 census ref for John's wife, and also name what children you are possibly still trying to trace.

John

Offline Uncle Gromit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 29 June 23 12:58 BST (UK) »
Hi John
Many thanks for your interest.  I have full details of all of the rest of the family, with the exception of the 1901 census for his wife.  She could have been anywhere and I did find her in H.M.P. Hornby Road,in 1911, probably for trading without a licence.  She died in 1942 in the Kirkdale Homes.  All the kids are accounted for from beginning to end, thanks.  It's just John 1850 who I cannot account for.  He was with the family in 1881.  By 1891 he family are at 8 Harker Place (RG 12 / 2922 page 28). but Ellen is listed as widowed. I'm assuming that it's a court and was in the area around Prince Edwin st and Soho Street. By 1901, the two eldest girls were married (and one of those was already widowed), the third girl was in service out in Lydiate and the two youngest lads, including my Grandad were in Nash Grove Ragged School.
 My problem is that she was listed as married when at H.M.P. but that could have been just what she said at the time.  Until recently, I have never found a death notice.  I have even followed one John Ewing up through Scotland and around to Yorkshire (I think) because the name and age fitted.
Then, quite by accident, I spotted a burial in 1904 for a John Ewing from Elm House.  It's in West Derby Cemetery and, I grew up in Sparrow Hall and West Derby Cemetery is just across the East Lanc's Road.  However, If I could find the location of the records from Elm House, it would show his next of kin, address and such like.  Hence my inquiry.   It's a puzzle but, it's what keeps us going. I'd love to solve the mystery but, without those 'human' records, I've no chance.  I'll get someone to nip over to West Derby Cem. easy enough but I doubt there's a gravestone.  I've checked on the listed stones and, thanks to the wonderful work by the Andersons, I can check those from Tasmania.   
Cheers... stay safe
Dave

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 29 June 23 13:51 BST (UK) »
Did daughter Elizabeth marry a Crompton?

If so Ellen is shown in Liverpool workhouse records in 1900 as "widow of John".
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Uncle Gromit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 29 June 23 22:50 BST (UK) »
You have got it in one, ShaunJ... Quite correct.   Have traced the Crompton back to the Isle Of Man and you must be right about Ellen ... I shall now look at her record.  It does raise the issue of when and, if he actually died at that time.  There is conflicting evidence but, if I could get the full details of the John in Elm house, I could resolve one little bit of the puzzle.  Incidentally, we watched the ambulance series from Liverpool over here and it was brilliant and founding out that the headquarters shown, before the move to Speke, was Elm House is just an extra bit of icing on the cake.

Many thanks for your help and the old directory entry.  Now ....  to the search machine.

Cheers to you all

Dave

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 29 June 23 23:17 BST (UK) »
Have you looked at the death of a John Ewing aged 34 in Rotherham in 1885? Buried in the churchyard at Kimberworth.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Uncle Gromit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 30 June 23 00:11 BST (UK) »
I have at least 6 records which could fit, had he left home ...However, two of the kids were born late 1886 and 1889 (my Grandfather), which suggests that he was still around ... and, I have D.N.A. results and relatives which discount any 'Hanky Panky' on the part of Ellen.
I did have trouble with Ellen's 1901 Workhouse until I discovered the Test House records.  They make perfect sense. Now, if you are in Liverpool, it's past your bedtime.

Many thanks again.

Dave