Author Topic: Martha Goodwin was she born in Nottinghamshire?  (Read 267 times)

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
Martha Goodwin was she born in Nottinghamshire?
« on: Wednesday 28 June 23 09:11 BST (UK) »
The first evidence I have of Martha Goodwin is her marriage to William Williams at Orston on 1/3/1810.
She is ' of Thoroton '

They move to Cropwell Bishop where they live for the rest of their lives.

On 1841 census Martha says born in county, on 1851 she says born  Sunderland Durham, she dies in 1855 so no other clues.

I cant see a baptism in Nottinghamshire, she was born somewhere around 1790. On 1851 she says she is 62 but on her burial in 1855 it says age 60 so I would guess somewhere between 1787 and 1795.

I wonder if I am missing something but if no baptism can be found I will try Durham.
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Martha Goodwin was she born in Nottinghamshire?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 June 23 09:50 BST (UK) »
If Martha was born in Nottinghamshire; Sunderland, Durham seems an unlikely place to pluck out of thin air to record as her birth place in 1951.  It isn't as if the enumerator has mistakenly repeated a place name from elsewhere on the page: everyone else is from Nottinghamshire.

FindMyPast has a baptism of a Margaret Goodwin d/o John and Jane at Sunderland on 11:09:1790. Transcription only, so at least it is open to doubt as to whether the name is actually Margaret or Martha.

This couple have only the one baptism recorded at Sunderland, but there are baptisms of Ann and Ruth Goodwin ds/o John and Jane at Thoroton, Notts, and burials of a John and Jane Goodwin, also at Thoroton.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 June 23 12:16 BST (UK) »
Galium   Thank you very much for that information.

I have done a bit more digging and found the first baptism in Thoroton was 5/1/1792 so Martha /Margaret would have been very small when she moved.

I see there was also a daughter Jane who was buried at Thoroton in 1794.

Martha and Willam Williams named their first daughter Jane, I know it doesn't prove anything, but often a family name.

I will ask on the Durham board and see if anyone can find anything.
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

Online AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 June 23 12:41 BST (UK) »
The transcription at Durham Records Online for Margaret Goodwin, 1790, Sunderland has simply, Margaret, no notes of ambiguity (which they often include.

As far as DRO is concerned this Margaret Goodwin disappears – there are no subsequent records that fit her.
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 June 23 12:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you Alan.

I can see a marriage of John Goodin and Jane Turner at Sunderland Holy Trinity on 26/8/1781.

I wonder if this is the correct couple?

I wonder if there is a baptism of a daughter Jane to this couple?

I know this far back I could be clutching at straws, but anything is better than nothing to try and follow up.

Online AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 June 23 13:25 BST (UK) »
Yes, I was going to post that marriage but I got sidetracked.

There are baptisms for John Goodin 21/8/1785 and Elizabeth Goodin 10/8/1788, with John and Jane as parents. Then Margaret, then nothing.

I can see no follow-up evidence for any of these Goodwins/Goodins. It seems to be an uncommon name in Durham, so it isn’t too difficult to draw this conclusion. (There is an Elizabeth Goodwin in the 1841 census of the correct age but she is the wife of a William Goodwin.)
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 June 23 14:00 BST (UK) »
Thank you Alan,

Without DNA it can only be a guess, I am wondering if this is the correct family why did they move to a tiny village in rural south Nottinghamshire?

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 28 June 23 14:26 BST (UK) »
A connection: the witnesses to Martha and William's marriage were Thomas Williams; Ann Lee; William Wilson [a frequent witness in Orston].

John Goodwin [marital status not given in either banns or marriage record] from Thoroton married Elizabeth Northing at Newark on 06:11: 1809. Witnesses are Ann Lee; William Williams.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk