Author Topic: Harry Laynes  (Read 247 times)

Offline Laynes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Harry Laynes
« on: Thursday 29 June 23 13:28 BST (UK) »
Hello,

My first post hope all is correct.

I am seeking help / information please regarding Harry Laynes.

1884 Born Bawtry (Scaftworth) 14/12/1884 according to B.Cert although a differing number of birthdates are shown in various records.

1891  Mastin Moor with father Levi Laynes staying with Levi’s brother John Lanes.

1901 Gainsborough, Upton Road, Page Boy on Farm (Cow Boy) - Harry Lanes

1911 Farm Labourer at Manor Farm Carburton, Near Clumber Park - Harry Laynes

WW1 - Enlisted with KOYLI 07/09/14 then almost immediate transfer to the Marines
Mid September 1914, 200 men were transferred from the KOYLI to the RMLI Plymouth (PLY115/S).  Then HMS Victory, barracks / shore base. Was a Private from 7/9/14 - 9/1/19

Served WW1 Gallipoli / Northern France

Then went to Yorkshire as Horseman / farm labourer working for G. Hepworth, Hanson House Farm, Normanton, Yorkshire form 6/4/19 to 20/12/20

1921 Census shows was at Aylesbury in Buckinghamshire

Joined RAF on 1st Feb 1921 and went to RAF Uxbridge, aircrafthand Group 5 marked as deserted 1925, although I am told that personnel may be listed as deserted if they were only a few hours late returning form leave.

1939 (WW2 'Census') highly likely at Brandycarr Farm, Howsham near Brigg, Lincolnshire.  I have made contact with a lady at Brandicarr who was a girl at the time but has no recollections.

There were 'Lane' relatives who moved up to the Brigg and Scunthorpe area but after Howsham, there is no trace. (Free BMD searches for marriage / death etc.)

Any help or assistance would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Harry Laynes
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 June 23 20:02 BST (UK) »

1884 Born Bawtry (Scaftworth) 14/07/1884 although a differing number of birthdates are shown in various records.

His actual birthdate was 14 December 1884, registered in the first quarter of 1885.

LAYNES, HARRY
Mother's maiden surname: GLEADELL     
GRO Reference: 1885  M Quarter in EAST RETFORD  Volume 07B  Page 1

Debra  :)

Offline Laynes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 June 23 20:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks Debra,  I inadvertently posted one of the other dates of birth I have for Harry - in 1939 it was 1887.  I have corrected the original post.  Thanks again, P.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 June 23 21:00 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat

You have posted on the Lincolnshire board but the birth shown above was in Nottinghamshire.  Bawtry was West Riding Yorkshire & Scaftworth is Doncaster??  1891 shows his birthplace as Notts

There is an 1883 marriage for Levi Lanes & Elizabeth Gleadle March qtr 1883 Gainsborough 7A 1025
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 June 23 21:21 BST (UK) »
Could this be his death?  Birthyear matches the 1939 entry you found.  No birth for a Harry Lane in Lincs matching that birthyear so it's a possibility

Harry Lane aged 67 (1888)

March qtr 1955 Sleaford 3B 146

His father died Lincs 1932
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Laynes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 June 23 21:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks, I have.  Bawtry to Scaftworth is just over a mile.  My branch of the Lane / Lanes / Layne / Laynes originated from Stow, Lincolnshire then moved to the Upton / Kexby / Gainsborough area.   It is understood that when Harry was born at Scaftworth, his parents were travelling back from Bawtry on the Bawtry / Gainsborough road, towards Gringley On The Hill (Notts) to Gainsborough (Lincs).  The Lanes in Bawtry originally came from Lincolnshire.  Although having worked in other counties, Harry's last known location was Brandicarr, Howsham.  Close to Brigg, where the 'Layne' cycle and motor dealers all lived, he could have moved there, or to the Scunthorpe area where other family members moved out to.  Obviously I cannot rule anything out but I think the Lincolnshire forum seems the best starting point. 

Levi Laynes / Lanes / Lane (Harry's father) died at Upton, Lincolnshire in 1932, his wife Elizabeth Gleadle (Harry's mother) died Gainsborough 1929.

I will have another look into the Sleaford possible.

Many thanks again.   P

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 29 June 23 23:27 BST (UK) »
Death certs up to 1957 can be bought cheaper if you order them in pdf format.  It's £7 instead of £11

I've checked marriages for "Harry" in Lincs from 1939-1955 and can't see anything likely so presume he never married

I think that 1939 entry is the right one.  I've seen several 1939 entries where the day & month is correct but the actual birthyear is out by a year or more