Author Topic: Surname spelling! Beanhaulm > Bingham ?? (Richard and Rebekkah / Rebecca)  (Read 308 times)

Offline Kate-Birchtree

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I've hit a strange "problem" with some ancestors in Kent (Warehorne and Ruckinge).

Problem
  • I know Rebecca to have a second marriage to Henry STICKEL(L)S, and a first marriage to Richard BINGHAM.
    Records suggest BINGHAM may have originally been BEANHAULM, or misspelt as BEANHAULM.
  • I can't find any baptism records for any Beanhaulms in England (aside from the birth of Mary BEANHAULM, daughter of Richard and Rebeckka [sic] Beanhaulm, baptised four months after Richard and Rebecca Beanhaulm (Bingham?) were married.
  • The internet seems to correlate the marriage record (for Beanhaulm) to the relevant marriage for the Binghams (but this could, of course, be incorrect).

Questions
  • Does the surname BEANHAULM actually "exist"? I can't really find evidence for it in England.
  • Is it plausible/reasonable to think that it's a possible mishearing (e.g. misinterpretation of an accent) of the surname BINGHAM? (I'm Australian, so I'm less familiar with accent variations...)
  • In considering whether the Beanhaulm records apply to my Bingham ancestors, is there something that I'm likely missing?

Background Info

Note: This process began in reverse, with the understanding that Rebecca's first husband's name (and childrens' names) were Bingham, then discovering BEANHAULM as a possible error/anomaly.

• Rebekkah (later Rebecca) COLLIN(G)S, born likely in 1794 to Richard Collin(g)s and Elizabeth (believed to be Elizabeth Hatcher, pending further research). Baptised 9 Feb 1794 in Warehorne.
  • Rebekkah/Rebecca (both!) COLLINS married Richard BEANHAULM on 27 Jan 1810 in Rochester St Margaret.
  • A child named Mary BEANHAULM was baptised 20 May 1810, to a Richard and Rebeckka [sic] Beanhaulm in Warehorne, Kent.
  • Following this birth, there are records for the births of numerous BINGHAM children to Richard and Rebecca, between the years of 1812 and 1826 (the year in which Richard BINGHAM died). Names include: William (1812), Lidia/Lydia (1814), Sarah (1818), Rebecca (1819), Thomas (1822), John (1824), George (1826). All census records align with BINGHAM.
  • Richard BINGHAM was buried in Nov 1826.
  • Rebecca BINGHAM marries Henry STICKEL(L)S on 25 Oct 1828 in Ruckinge. They go on to have more STICKELLS children: Anne (1829), Elizabeth (1830), Jane (1832), Henry (1834) and Stephen (1837).
  • Rebecca STICKELLS dies in 1865 (buried 3 Apr 1864 in Ruckinge).
  • Rebecca then married Henry STICKELS (sometimes STICKELLS)

Any insights would be very much appreciated!
Adair, Ager, Anderson, Angel, Ayles, Badenoch, Bampton, Bannister, Bedell/Beadle/Beadel, Beresford, Bird, Blaesing, Brown, Butterworth, Clements, Eaton, Elston, Finn, Frith, Green, Groom, Hales, Hance, Heudebourck, Hollis, Maple, Menzel, Nancarrow, Noble, Oakley, Peed, Porter, Prior, Roberts, Sands, Scarlet(t), Sharples, Smith, Stickles/Stickells, Stokes, Sur(r)idge, Thurston, Tiver, Tulloch, Wade, Weeden, Wood, Young

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Surname spelling! Beanhaulm > Bingham ?? (Richard and Rebekkah / Rebecca)
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 June 23 09:00 BST (UK) »
I have searched BNA, newspapers.com (USA newspapers only) and archive.org. All occurrences of beanhaulm that I found refer to the agricultural use of the term. I did not find the word used as a name.
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 June 23 09:05 BST (UK) »
Searched at geneanet for the surname. There are 20 instances, all in Kent, all 18th century. Shadoxhurst, Bethersden and Wareholme.
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 June 23 12:58 BST (UK) »
You have the Marriage taking place at Rochester St Margaret.

As noted by Alan;

FreeREG has it as 27 Jan 1810, St Matthew, Warehorne
Bachelor/Spinster
He signed X
Witnesses, Richard COLLINGS/Ralph LANGFORD

FreeREG has;
10 BEANHAULM entries 1764/1810 (3 are yours) most in Shadoxhurst
There are more under BEANHILM etc using soundex
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 June 23 15:20 BST (UK) »
  Banns also read in Warehorne, both of the parish.
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline Kate-Birchtree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 07 July 23 04:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help - I appreciate it  :)

I have to apologise to everyone for a mistake I made in my original post...

I correctly had Warehorne St Matthew recorded as the parish for both the Beanhaulm and Stickels marriages. That said...I made the mistake of relying on my memory and entering Rochester St Mary. It turns out I was remembering the name of the parish where Rebecca and Henry's son Stephen was married in 1863 :-\ Lesson learned!

I didn't see other Beanhaulm entries come up on FreeReg, but I'll search again and experiment more with soundex.

Thank you again  :)
Adair, Ager, Anderson, Angel, Ayles, Badenoch, Bampton, Bannister, Bedell/Beadle/Beadel, Beresford, Bird, Blaesing, Brown, Butterworth, Clements, Eaton, Elston, Finn, Frith, Green, Groom, Hales, Hance, Heudebourck, Hollis, Maple, Menzel, Nancarrow, Noble, Oakley, Peed, Porter, Prior, Roberts, Sands, Scarlet(t), Sharples, Smith, Stickles/Stickells, Stokes, Sur(r)idge, Thurston, Tiver, Tulloch, Wade, Weeden, Wood, Young