Author Topic: Deaths in Chelmsford almshouse - where buried? Records for almshouses?  (Read 216 times)

Offline Kate-Birchtree

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi all

I have a relative who appears to have died in 1849 as an almswoman (Lady Mildmay's Almshouses in Moulsham, Chelmsford). I have seen her civil death registration (index).

I'm trying to track down her burial record, but so far I've found nothing.

- Her parish of marriage was St. Mary the Virgin, Chelmsford - nothing.
- I've checked the Moulsham church burial records - also nothing.

I have a subscription to the EAO, but being in Australia, I can't access the almshouse records to see if there are any clues in their documents.

• Does anybody know of other repositories where I can view digitised almshouse records?
  • If a person died as an almswoman, would they typically be buried in their most recent parish? In their birth parish? Or in some other location specific to the almshouse?

If helpful, the person is Jane BEDELL (sometimes spelt BEDEL). Appears to have been in Lady Mildmay's Almshouses from at least 1841 (maybe as early as 1836), until her death in 1849.

This is assuming the death of this Jane Bedell is the correct Jane Bedell (which, based on other research, appears likely).

Thanks for any and all help!
Adair, Ager, Anderson, Angel, Ayles, Badenoch, Bampton, Bannister, Bedell/Beadle/Beadel, Beresford, Bird, Blaesing, Brown, Butterworth, Clements, Eaton, Elston, Finn, Frith, Green, Groom, Hales, Hance, Heudebourck, Hollis, Maple, Menzel, Nancarrow, Noble, Oakley, Peed, Porter, Prior, Roberts, Sands, Scarlet(t), Sharples, Smith, Stickles/Stickells, Stokes, Sur(r)idge, Thurston, Tiver, Tulloch, Wade, Weeden, Wood, Young

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Deaths in Chelmsford almshouse - where buried? Records for almshouses?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 July 23 07:40 BST (UK) »
GRO Index for her death has Jane BEADLE age 89

Death registered September quarter 1849 Chelmsford vol. 12 page 23

The Essex Record Office would be the place to search for records check under Poor Law records

Paying for a search may be the only way to find out.

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 July 23 07:51 BST (UK) »
The will of Sir William Mildmay 1771 of Moulsham Hall is on ancestry. he leaves money to his wife Ann

to distribute to the poor of Chelmsford and goes on to say she might want to set up a private charity.

Her will of 1796 - Dame Anne Mildmay is also on ancestry, very long and detailed.

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 July 23 08:02 BST (UK) »
Could be buried in a cemetery and not a churchyard

Forefathers Cemetery was established  1655  centre of Chelmsford

Heart Pond Cemetery established 1774  - South Chelmsford

Riverside Cemetery established 1841  - North Chelmsford