Author Topic: Nation - Daveridge marriage, Cardiff (Llandough) 1921  (Read 393 times)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Nation - Daveridge marriage, Cardiff (Llandough) 1921
« on: Saturday 01 July 23 17:52 BST (UK) »
Hi, not sure if anyone can improve this family wedding shot? But i’d like help with the ages of the group if possible please to try and determine who is who !!

Bride and groom are Thomas Nation (born 1887) and Gwendoline Mary Daveridge (1897), and her parents James (1869) and Flora (Heaven) Daveridge (1873) are behind them. Gwen’s older sister Ada had a 6 week old baby at the time of the marriage so I’m guessing that’s her sitting down with the baby. Gwen and Ada’s sister Beatrice had died (as had her husband) leaving a 4 year old daughter Phyllis (1916) who i hope is one of the two little girls in front.

One of Thomas’s brothers had daughters born in 1904 (Mary) and 1915 (Beatrice) so i’m hoping Beatrice is the other little girl in front. That leaves Mary (1904) and three other sisters of Gwen (and Ada), Flora (1902), Grace (1904) and Nellie (1906), so all four quite close in age. Does this fit (look likely) for the 2 on the far left and 2 on the right? I’m not convinced about the lady on the left of the back row, next to the bride’s mother as she look a bit old to be one of the 4 i’ve mentioned.

Any help gratefully received, thanks
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline loord74

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Nation - Daveridge marriage, Cardiff (Llandough) 1921
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 July 23 19:13 BST (UK) »
I think you forgot to attach the wedding photo

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 July 23 19:27 BST (UK) »
Whoops! Does help……
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Online japeflakes

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 July 23 20:52 BST (UK) »

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 July 23 21:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks japeflakes, that is much clearer 😀

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 July 23 03:49 BST (UK) »
Deirdre, I think you’re right that all the people you mention are in the photo.

My take:
The oldest unmarried sister, Flora (1902), has her hand on her father’s shoulder.

The other 4 sisters are clustered together, albeit with Ada seated to hold her baby. The youngest, Nellie (1906), is wearing a hat and corsage. (I think that her being shaded, together with some photo damage around her face, make her look older; I’ve tried to clean her up without altering her appearance.)

That leaves their sister Grace (1904) on our far left.

The little girl on the left would be Phyllis (1916), surrounded by 4 of her deceased mother’s sisters.

Mary (1904), matching young Nellie with hat and corsage, would be standing behind her sister Beatrice (1915).

Anyway, here’s my try at a restore.

Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 July 23 07:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks Peter, that’s great. I couldn’t decide on the older girls and wasn’t even convinced which was which of the little ones. Your restore does make Nellie look younger so thanks for that too. It is a lovely photo, albeit missing the boys!

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 02 July 23 07:48 BST (UK) »
A Flora Ann Daveridge mentioned here (col 3)
https://newspapers.library.wales/view/3245586/3245589/53/daveridge

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 02 July 23 07:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks hanes teulu, i thought Daveridge might be a good name to look for in the papers but didn’t find anything on FindMyPast. Don’t often remember to look at the nlw offerings 🙁