Author Topic: Mary CORNWELL born c.1820 in Bottisham Lode  (Read 570 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: Mary CORNWELL born c.1820 in Bottisham Lode
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 25 October 23 19:24 BST (UK) »
That occurs in my own tree Peter, there is a strange case. My mother was born at Cambridge in September1903. The story I had from her and my grandmother was that Mum's youngest uncle, James Ayres, son of James Ayres (1845-1924) and Emily Cornwell (1850-1941) migrated to Australia in the summer of 1903. Referring to my grandmother's pregnancy he said "If it's a boy call him Jim after me!" My mother was known as Jim through out her 99 year life. Now the strange part.I have contact with his descandents in Australia, they have a different story in that he arrived in Australia early in 1911, having left England in November or December 1910. Pity is he didn't wait a few more months and get included in the 1911 census! Where was he from 1903-1910?
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Peter Cornwell

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 27 October 23 09:38 BST (UK) »
Search me. His brother Aaron AYRES (1882-1949) features in my family tree along with a dozen more AYRES over the years. Was it their eldest sister Ruth AYRES (born Q4 1869) whose death was recorded Q2 1878 as 'Emma' ? 
CORNWELLs (and variants) with origins in the ancient county of Cambridgeshire & Isle of Ely - any date.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 27 October 23 10:55 BST (UK) »
The family of my Ayres/Cornwell great grandparents,11 in all my grandfather Samuel (1868-1935) being the oldest, and James (1889-c1965) the youngest,5 of the 11 including Ruth had died by the 1911 census.There was a rumoured 12th Zebulon, but I believe he never happened in reality after intensive search. Sorry to partially hijack your thread.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 28 October 23 06:34 BST (UK) »
Have your tried Orillia Ontario?

I know it may seem improbable but many many people from Burwell Cambridgeshire, Exning Suffolk

and surrounding area left between 1845 and 1865 ending up in Toronto most in Orillia (one of the

coldest places in Canada) I correspond with a person in Orillia whose family travelled there in the

1850's whose  4 X great grandmother was sister to my 4 X great grandmother.

Offline Peter Cornwell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 28 October 23 08:58 BST (UK) »
amondg,

Thank you for your suggestion. I will explore that possibility.
CORNWELLs (and variants) with origins in the ancient county of Cambridgeshire & Isle of Ely - any date.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 31 October 23 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Mary Cornwell was baptised on 13th October 1822. Clearly at this time the specific branch of the clan were not Baptists. Thanks for the Ruth date of death and the fact she was recorded as Emma, that's how I missed her. This has just become complicated by the fact that I have a younger sister, Emma recorded as dying in 1878 (lived 1877-1878)

Offline Peter Cornwell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 01 November 23 07:42 GMT (UK) »
Holmes CORNWELL Jr was somewhat lax in getting his offspring 'churched' promptly & seems to have favoured having them done together. The imminent introduction of Civil Registration in 1837 prompted him to have four of his children christened on the same day - joined by ten CORNWELL cousins. A grand family feast in Lode that day one imagines!

As far as I am currently aware, his son Robert CORNWELL was one of the first in the family to have embraced non-conformity being proposed to the Particular Baptist Church in Lode on 16 Oct 1836 & received into the church on 13 Nov 1836. Holmes & his wife, Mary (COOK), also became non-conformist at some stage & as you know they are buried together behind Lode Baptist Chapel. 'He was a praying man ... a man of faith. He believed in compelling his children ... to go to the house of God, and in never sitting down to a meal without first asking God's blessing upon it. He was always of a saving and persevering disposition, taking care of things of the smallest value; after he was dead we found his wedding gloves, which had been preserved 66 years, and other things for which he had had no use for many years'.

As for the death of Ruth/Emma AYRES, you're welcome. Glad to have been of some help.