Author Topic: Diary summary week ending 9th July  (Read 2120 times)

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary summary week ending 9th July
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 16 July 23 21:38 BST (UK) »
Well I went to the wrong church this morning ,
Arrived at my usual one ,all closed up ,went to look at the notice board when someone else arrived in a car,they wanted to put flowers in church for their parents, informed me it was the first service a newly ordained Deacon was taking at another church in the group.
They very kindly drove me to the service.
It is a bit ‘ Happy Clappy” —- but we were made welcome and there were many from the other churches in the group .
It is an interesting church, built as a Scottish Presbyterian church by two brothers who really started industry in Ramsbottom.
The Grants ,immortalised by Dickens as “ The Cheeyble Brothers” in Nicholas Nickleby.
Many employees from Speyside followed them to Ramsbottom ,hence the church being built .
After their deaths a nephew closed the church ,had Manchester thugs preventing the congregation from entering for three consecutive Sundays ,after which it was deconsecrated as Presbyterian and re consecrated as Church of England .
Quite a turbulent history ,and today it was astonishing that so many in the congregation had no idea of that history .
However many are fairly new to Ramsbottom ,and it was in the early 1800’s.

Well mixed weather all day ,just watching “ World on Fire“ ,tonight it is the Christmas 1940 Manchester Blitz , I thought it was a documentary ,but no.

Hope all are as well as can be expected ,knowing quite a number have difficult conditions.
Look after yourselves.
Viktoria.

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 16 July 23 23:32 BST (UK) »
LM Good to hear your granddaughter is safely back from her travels. It must have been a great surprise but very enjoyable to find her on your doorstep.

V good news about your son’s house completion.

KG sorry about your eye infection

RJ hope you got power again quickly

Hope I didn’t miss anyone off.

At church today I’d decided to do the story of the lost sheep this morning with the children at my church. Only 6 today 3 2 year olds, 1 5yr old and 2 6 yr olds. I can have up to 12. I’m rather besotted by sheep and had my sheep blanket and 3 assorted soft toy sheep. We counted the sheep on the blanket, the sheep are in pairs on the blanket and we got to 98 then one more was spotted so we had 99most appropriate for the story I thought.
They love a very silly little game called who has the ball, someone goes out of the room and those left behind pass around a tennis ball, the one outside has to knock 3 times and rush in and guess who has the ball only today it was who has the sheep! Then we started on a sheep mobile.

I’ve had a bad week with my asthma and ended up on a course of steroids on Wednesday. I haven’t needed steroids for about 15 years as inhalers have been enough. I’ve done very little but sat around doing nothing! I’ve even been off food too most unusual!

I think I’m on the wrong week but never mind!

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Monday 17 July 23 11:43 BST (UK) »
Join the club Gibel, I was at the wrong church yesterday!

We have Sunday School ,wide age range but well managed by our former  Cub Mistress.
The children come in after the sermon and show their art work and tell what story it has been ,then -a mad run down the aisle.
Po faces from the old brigade but laughter from the rest of the congregation.

Last week our really good new Rector explained the story of The Good Samaritan.I had never thought before how the strict Mosaic Laws would
inhibit those who did not help.
Just ione for eg,anyone who had touched a dead body (and the injured man looked as if he might be dead) was unclean for a period and had to be cleansed ,also to get any blood on themselves meant a strict cleansing process.
It was more the strict  laws that prevented the passers by from helping .
I had never looked at it that way before.
Another example of how Jesus tried to get people to look and act beyond the very restrictive laws .
So many in the congregation were amazed,with a whole new understanding .
Sermon over .

If this wrong church thing continues it looks like there will only be me at my funeral!
Only me singing The Ying Tong Yiddle I  Poo song!
Only me dancing to The Dubliners and Luke Jelly belting out “Whisky in the Jar”.
That is Hymn number 00000 in Ancient and Modern.

Stopped raining but such heavy rain in the night .
Like Autimn ,I must look out the Christmas tree!
Not forgetting the sprouts.

Chicken from yesterday with salad and I think perhaps new potato salad for tea. Son is easy to please.

Daughter phones this evening , so all the Flash Harry and Kyra updates.
Wonder if F,H is in the Sports ,he us very athletic ,cycles for miles ,is a good swimmer ,and finely built -like greased lightening .
He will be one of the smallest Juniors.

I do miss the news  of the twins ,and hope all is well .
In fact I hope all are alright  ,I know many have serious health problems , and wish them better health.
We get to know people we have never met  nor will ever meet ,read of their
happiness and the sadder aspects of their lives.
It really has been wonderful throughout a very difficult isolating ( literally) time.
I feel it is tailing off a bit ,but I don’t suppose it was meant to be a permanent thing .
No matter - we have all now got friends we have never met .
So Cheerio ,I am off to do something or other, I am not stuck for choices!

Viktoria.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Monday 17 July 23 12:10 BST (UK) »
Yes Viktoria, I wondered about the twins recently, like you,  hope all is well

I often wonder how many will be at my funeral, in fact I have decided whilst I like a whole host of hymns  many or the few who might  be at my funeral won't know them, so I will have  to pick an ordinary mundane one that  everyone  knows, I would like the few, or many,   to sing with gusto!!!

What appy thought for Monday 17th?

LM
On to the next weekend now
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London