Author Topic: Liverpool Workhouse  (Read 223 times)

Offline Mofamily

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Liverpool Workhouse
« on: Monday 03 July 23 11:19 BST (UK) »
Hello

I hope someone could give me some insight.  I have found an ancestor in the workhouse in the Admissions and Discharge Register on Family Search microfilms.  She was admitted on 11 October 1853.  There is a 'No of Order' 590.  Does this relate to another record and are they available?

It also says 'by whose order' and it cites an H Simpson (this name appears regularly throughout the records) who are they?

She dies in the Infirmary Ward on 9 December 1853. (Stroke - according to burial records)  Now, I know she was buried in the Necropolis in a family grave, so she must have been known to the family and also I know the family were very "comfortable", and she had lived with her uncle previously.  Did people go into Workhouses for reasons other than poverty?

Thanks
Mo

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Liverpool Workhouse
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 July 23 11:24 BST (UK) »
do you know the location of the Workhouse - ie - Sefton General Hospital, Smithdown Road ,Liverpool - was originally a Workhouse ??
added
can you post the full name and birth year of the deceased in 1853 please - we may find a family tree for him / her ??
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 July 23 11:30 BST (UK) »
People did go into the Workhouse for health reasons - it was often the only Infirmary available when illness struck. Most Workhouses had an Infirmary attached and these later became hospitals after the workhouse had been closed down.
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 July 23 11:53 BST (UK) »
Liverpool Albion, 2nd April 1855
DIED
On the 26th ult., in Cambridge-street, aged 44, Mr. H. SIMPSON, relieving officer.

See this rootschat thread for a definition of relieving officer: https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=419289.0

Henry Simpson in 1851:
Liverpool, Mount Pleasant
3 Cambridge Street
Henry Simpson, 40, Relieving Officer
plus wife Agnes, 6 children and one servant.
folio: 596
piece: 2183
page: 5
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline Mofamily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 July 23 13:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks folk.
Mo