Author Topic: Esther Fanny EVANS (nee COWAN) - Died 1929 - Directory/Newspapers references??  (Read 308 times)

Offline rbell35

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Seeking please any directory entries and newspaper entries regarding my aunt, Esther Fanny COWAN within the Eastwood, Prittlewell areas in Essex. Fanny was born on 8/6/1897 in Eastwood, daughter of Henry (Harry) Richardson COWAN & Fanny Esther nee PATTERSON. She married a John EVANS on 9/9/1922 in Prittlewell. Esther died on 24th October, 1929 in Colchester (UR. Prittlewell).

I am interested in what the directories may tell me about her residences during her life as well as whether an occupation is listed for her. My mother was only 14 when Esther died and did not really know her sister & never as an adult, so any information may be very helpful. Perhaps the local newspaper has recorded her birth/marriage or death?

Any help on this is very much appreciated. Thanking you in anticipation.

Regards,
Rob (Australia)

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Electoral Registers in 1924, 1925, 1929

Parish, Eastwood; Ward, Eastwood
"Sunnyside" Rochford Road
John Evans, Esther Fanny Evans
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline rbell35

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Thanks Alan. Do you think that 'Sunnyside' refers to a house/property or was it some kind of institution? Regards, Rob

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
I’m sure it was just the name of the house. This doesn’t imply that it was in any way a grand house. Many English suburban houses were named like this at that time. It may even still be there.

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
In case you don't have it, her address in 1921 is Pleasant Place, Eastwood Road, Southend-on-Sea (also in 1911). Also:

Probate
COWAN Henry Richardson of 2 Pleasant-place Prittlewell Southend-on-Sea Essex died 22 December 1920 at the Infirmary Rochford Essex Administration London 11 March to Fanny Esther Cowan widow. Effects £185 2s.

31 December 1920, Chelmsford Chronicle
Fatal Sequel.
Mr. H. J Jefferies held an inquest on Friday on Henry Richardson Cowan, 47, wheelwright and blacksmith, Pleasant Place, Prittlewell. – The widow said deceased told her he was cycling when a motor car came on its wrong side; he let the bicycle go, threw himself off the machine to save himself, and sustained some shock. He worked for a fortnight after the accident, and complained of pains in the chest and side. He took no steps to find the number of the motor car. –  Dr. F Newey said death was due to septicemia, which a contusion of the lung might have accounted for. – A verdict was returned of death from septicaemia following an accidental fall from a bicycle.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
The 1921 census has Esther's occupation as 'home duties' as with the majority of women, though her mother's is recorded as 'general shop and wheelwright'
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline rbell35

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Thanks Alan & Deidre, yes I knew the address and Henry's death details. However I was not certain Esther still lived there in 1921. I was not even sure that her 'home duties' status was used but of course this was a common term. Thanks, Rob

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Looking at Google StreetView and old maps, I'm pretty confident that I know where Sunniside was.

I think Sunniside, Rochford Road was a new house, built early in the 20s. In the 1921 census the only address for Rochford Road, Prittlewell, is White House Farm, and the 1920 revised OS 25 inch map of the area at the junction of Eastwood Road (west-east) and Rochford Road (N) is indeed White House Farm, a little way north of the junction.

On the 1938 revised edition, at the same junction (NW corner) is the Bell Hotel. Going north on Rochford Road from there on the east side (nothing on the west side) are two houses without front gardens, then seven with, the nine forming a single terrace. Then three semi-detached houses then a long gap including where the farm was in 1920.

On StreetView the same layout of houses can be seen. The houses have several features that fit the period (flat roofs, rendering with decorative brickwork and recessed open porches, stepped garden walls). They would have been ultra-modern at that time. The Bell Hotel is now a Toby Carvery.

Unfortunately I can't see any trace of old house names. I intended to attach an image, but I don’t seem to have the option on this thread.

Offline rbell35

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Esther Fanny EVANS (nee COWAN) - Died 1929 - Directory/Newspapers references??
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 04 July 23 08:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks Alan for this enlightening information. I believe when Esther married she was living at number 2, 'The Colonies' in Prittlewell. I also have no real concept as to where this was situated. Food for thought! Cheers, Rob