Author Topic: Esther Fanny EVANS (nee COWAN) - Died 1929 - Directory/Newspapers references??  (Read 309 times)

Offline rbell35

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Esther Fanny EVANS (nee COWAN) - Died 1929 - Directory/Newspapers references??
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 04 July 23 13:58 BST (UK) »
Henry was indeed a wheelwright/blacksmith. Apparently 'Pleasant Place'', Eastwood. I have a postcard with a photo of Henry and it shows the address as No. 2 Pleasant Place, Eastwood. It was situated approximately on the corner of Southbourne Grove and the main arterial road to London. I believe the house was originally known as 'Pest House', perhaps once used as a centre for diseased persons? My grandmother Fanny Esther COWAN operated a general store called 'Earl's Hall Stores' also in the arterial road in Prittlewell during the 1930s until she emigrated to Australia in 1938. I am not sure of the number but I believe there are still shops in that cluster. I have published a couple of previous threads about this shop. My mother told me that the first shop on the site was an old aeroplane hangar, then converted to a full structure about 1935/6. I would dearly love to see photographs of both the house in Eastwood and the shop in Prittlewell, if anyone can help this would be very much appreciated. Regards, Rob

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Esther Fanny EVANS (nee COWAN) - Died 1929 - Directory/Newspapers references??
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 04 July 23 15:31 BST (UK) »
Have you tried any local history groups, such as on facebook? I would have thought that they'd be more likely to have (or find) photos than anyone on here.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline rbell35

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 05 July 23 04:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Deidre,

I am not on Facebook but I suppose I could seek ou tsome local history groups in Essex. However I am also hoping that someone with that information and/or photos may see this and respond. Thanks, Rob