Author Topic: Bandon, Cork  (Read 304 times)

Offline Cindysw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bandon, Cork
« on: Monday 03 July 23 23:21 BST (UK) »
Would a person from Bandon, Cork say that they are from Bandon if they were born in Kilbrogan, Cork?

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bandon, Cork
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 July 23 23:38 BST (UK) »
Very likely
https://www.townlands.ie/cork/kinalmeaky/kilbrogan/kilbrogan/kilbrogan/
Kilbrogan is also a variant name for Brandon RC parish.
https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0017

People usually name the town not the townland.

Offline Cindysw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 July 23 00:01 BST (UK) »
If my ancestor's obit states that he is from Bandon, Cork, does he mean the town or Parish?  His son wrote the obit and he was also born there, would he say Bandon if he was from say Kilbrogan?  They are Church of England in Canada.  I think the only Anglican church in that area was Christ Church, Kilbrogan. I'm trying to isolate one church before I pay to have the records searched.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 July 23 05:59 BST (UK) »
They would say they were from (the town of) Bandon.

Offline athacliath62

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 July 23 10:34 BST (UK) »
If my ancestor's obit states that he is from Bandon, Cork, does he mean the town or Parish?  His son wrote the obit and he was also born there, would he say Bandon if he was from say Kilbrogan?  They are Church of England in Canada.  I think the only Anglican church in that area was Christ Church, Kilbrogan. I'm trying to isolate one church before I pay to have the records searched.

The church of Ireland Parish for the town of Bandon was Kilbrogan, the church for this parish union was in the town of Bandon. The early historic OS maps show two established churches but neither named, the later map from about 1900 show St. Peter's church in the south west of the town and Christ Church in the north - the latter closed in the 1970s, in any case these would both be the same parish, i.e. Kilbrogan/Bandon. The RCBL parish list entry for Bandon notes 'see Ballymodan and Kilbrogan' after the two underlying civil parishes, the latest RCB list shows that their library hold records for this parish union back to 1695.

The mention of Bandon as place of origin could mean the town, somewhere nearby, or possibly the parish

Offline Cindysw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 12 August 23 18:39 BST (UK) »
One more branch of the family one step closer.
Thank-you!

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 13 August 23 10:30 BST (UK) »

...the later map from about 1900 show St. Peter's church in the south west of the town and Christ Church in the north...

From the OSi National Townland and Historical Map Viewer.
MapGenie 25 Inch [1897-1913] in Basemap Gallery.
Link- https://arcg.is/05nmff

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo