Author Topic: Steeton hall  (Read 515 times)

Offline Meggiejayne

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Steeton hall
« on: Tuesday 04 July 23 17:14 BST (UK) »
Hello

I have found that one of my ancestors, a Susan Bellamy (although on the Census she's Susanna Bellany and Sisanna Bilany or something like that} was a Cook/Domestic. The address is listed as Steeton Hall. All 3 household members are servants but there is no mention of a master/mistress. The household before houses a family, the railway signalman and the household after is No.1 Lowfold and he is a general labourer.

I've googled Steeton Hall and whilst there is a Steeton Hall, there is also a road called Steeton Hall but surely there would be more than 1 dwelling.

in the 1891 Census she is living with 3 different servants in Low Hall, Little London. Once again either side of her are family households and there's no mention of master/mistress.

Susan originates from Lincolnshire and so all of my searches have been there until I stumbled across this one. I do not know the area and wondered whether anyone could shed any light on what the set up could be in this situation.

Was Steeton Hall a residence in 18881/91 and is it possible that these were tied cottages for the servants, as that seems to be the only logical explanation for why there are 3 servants with no master/mistress.

I've googled Steeton Hall but it now seems to be a hotel but cannot find much information about what it was before then, who lived there, etc.

Any help is much appreciated. Thank you

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Steeton hall
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 July 23 18:21 BST (UK) »
It isn't unusual to find the servants in charge in grand houses at the time of the census. It's quite possible that the family spent the winter in London.

If you look at the bottom left corner of this OS map you will find Steeton Hall, on Station Road which runs N-S. Steeton and Silsden Station is just a little to the north along the road. If you go south along Station Road the first 'street' to the west is Low Fold.

https://maps.nls.uk/view/125638378
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline Meggiejayne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 July 23 18:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you. That all makes perfect sense now (as an avid Downtown Abbey fan I should have thought of that) and explains why they are servants on their own. On the 1891 Census it does say "in charge" above Susan's name.

Now just to find out who the family were.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 July 23 19:09 BST (UK) »
The newspapers name James Myers around the time of the 1891 Census.
A James Myers, age 52, was at Steeton Hall on the 1881 Census

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 July 23 19:21 BST (UK) »
1891 Census
ref RG12 3882  9  66
James Myers, born 1829

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 04 July 23 19:24 BST (UK) »
In 1871 at Steeton Hall are
Mary J Craven, wife, 38
Margaret E Craven, daughter, 10
plus servants.

The absent husband is John Craven who died in 1879:

21 June 1879, Bradford Daily Telegraph
FUNERAL OF MR JOHN CRAVEN, OF KEIGHLEY.
The mortal remains of the late Mr John Craven, of Steeton Hall, Steeton, Keighley, were conveyed to their last resting place in Keighley Cemetery today. Apart from the fact that, as one of the partners of the firm of Messrs J. and J. Craven, of Low Mill, he was a large employer of labour, the deceased gentleman for many years filled the office of chairman of the Keighley bench of magistrates, and also that of chairman of the Keighley Liberal Association. Thus he was continually occupying a prominent position in the public affairs of the town, and the large and sympathetic concourse of people of all the different grades of society testified to the esteem in which he was held. The shops of the town were partially closed. The ground at the cemetery was kept by a detachment of police in charge of Inspector Booth. There were many thousands of visitors at the cemetery. The funeral cortege left Steeton Hall shortly after eleven, and passed along the Skipton Road to the Cemetery, the route being lined with spectators...

An image of the family gravestone is here: https://tinyurl.com/24usaxvd

In the 1881 census Mary J Craven and her daughter Margaret are staying at the Clifton Down Hotel, Clifton, Bristol.

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 04 July 23 19:31 BST (UK) »
@hanes teulu

I think you have landed in the wrong Steeton Hall. That one is at Tadcaster.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 04 July 23 19:57 BST (UK) »
AB - spot on!

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 04 July 23 20:11 BST (UK) »
Contemporary news item about the Craven mill. Apologies for the site, newspaper sites are horrible aren’t they?

https://tinyurl.com/yc2bmcs7

Also Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalton_Mills?wprov=sfti1