Author Topic: Local farm records  (Read 437 times)

Offline CarolineWebb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Local farm records
« on: Tuesday 04 July 23 18:14 BST (UK) »
We have an ancestor who was living at Lapworth Hill Farm in 1901 - would love to know if we could find the records r., the farm especially who was employed there at that time. Does anyone know if records like this exist, and where they would be?
Thanks in advance!

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Local farm records
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 July 23 19:58 BST (UK) »
Since you know that your ancestor lived at this farm, I’m assuming that your source is the 1901 Census. I don’t know, from what you say, whether your ancestor was a farmer or a farm worker. If you search the “Discovery” catalogue for records of the farm owner and farm you might find something (which may have been deposited in the Warwickshire record office or even elsewhere). However, it is very likely that any records that did exist have long ago been destroyed. Records relating to the business of the farm are less likely to have survived than records relating to the land ownership.
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 July 23 05:25 BST (UK) »
Is the family in 1901?

Thomas CATTELL           44    farmer  (employer)     Sheldon
Jane Ann                         41                             Black Callerton
Jeanie                               7                              Lapworth
Constance May                 2
Albert Edward HEATON  33  Clergyman          Birmingham
Edward TERBEIGN         23                             Great Packington
Edith Mary WEBB           23    Gen Servant Domestic   Tamworth

I doubt if any farm records exist (happy to be wrong). You may be able to find mention of the farm in newspapers that mention people that work there. From a very quick look, there are references to Lapworth Park Farm, but none that I can see of a farm at Lapworth Hill.

For interest, here is the farm in 1903
https://maps.nls.uk/view/101585122#zoom=5&lat=2986&lon=7270&layers=BT

Offline CarolineWebb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 July 23 15:41 BST (UK) »
Since you know that your ancestor lived at this farm, I’m assuming that your source is the 1901 Census. I don’t know, from what you say, whether your ancestor was a farmer or a farm worker. If you search the “Discovery” catalogue for records of the farm owner and farm you might find something (which may have been deposited in the Warwickshire record office or even elsewhere). However, it is very likely that any records that did exist have long ago been destroyed. Records relating to the business of the farm are less likely to have survived than records relating to the land ownership.

Yes, our info is from the 1901 census - what we're looking for is such a long shot that it'll be impossible, but never say never!

Offline CarolineWebb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 July 23 15:43 BST (UK) »
Is the family in 1901?

Thomas CATTELL           44    farmer  (employer)     Sheldon
Jane Ann                         41                             Black Callerton
Jeanie                               7                              Lapworth
Constance May                 2
Albert Edward HEATON  33  Clergyman          Birmingham
Edward TERBEIGN         23                             Great Packington
Edith Mary WEBB           23    Gen Servant Domestic   Tamworth

I doubt if any farm records exist (happy to be wrong). You may be able to find mention of the farm in newspapers that mention people that work there. From a very quick look, there are references to Lapworth Park Farm, but none that I can see of a farm at Lapworth Hill.

For interest, here is the farm in 1903
https://maps.nls.uk/view/101585122#zoom=5&lat=2986&lon=7270&layers=BT

Thanks for this - it's Edith Webb that's our ancestor and became pregnant whilst working there. We want to try and find out who else was living there in August 1901, so the list of people from the census a few months earlier could well have changed.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 06 July 23 10:48 BST (UK) »
That is tricky for you.

For interest, I think "Edward TERBEIGN" might be Edward TERHEEGE, born Mar qtr 1878 Meriden, bap 11 Dec 1877 at Great Packington, son of William and Mary TERHEEGE - they are in Great Packington in the earlier censuses. He marries Emma Bertha DUKE in 1911.

A few mentions of Rev Albert Edward HEATON in newspapers, appointments and celebrating weddings etc.

No paternity cases for either of them that I can see.  ;)

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 06 July 23 12:03 BST (UK) »
Of course other people may have worked at the farm but not lived there but your ancestor might also have met someone in the area who wasn’t directly connected with the farm.
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline StefanD99

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 10 July 23 17:41 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Am I right in thinking the baby was Frederick George Webb born 1902 in Solihull?
If so, possibly named George for his Granddad, and Frederick for his Father. Or have I got the wrong family?
The 1901 Census gives a couple of likely lads, named Frederick, living in Tanworth, both single. One is a Gardener, in Salter Street, and one is a Gamekeeper. There is also a married man, a Hay Rake Maker from Hockley Heath. If that is where Edith's family are from, they may have known each other previously.
All this is conjecture, obviously.

Stefan

PS I have just checked the 1891 census. If I have identified Edith Mary's parents correctly
(George and Eliza), they are neighbours with the Hay Rake Maker's family in Back Lane.
Edith Mary is elsewhere as a servant.
Oh! What a tangled web we perceive,
where ancestors try to hide and deceive.