Author Topic: Old Aghadowey Records  (Read 372 times)

Offline JoeMiltimore

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Old Aghadowey Records
« on: Tuesday 04 July 23 18:31 BST (UK) »
Hello.  I recently determined that my ancestors lived in Aghadowey for a while and am interested in finding out more about Aghadowey.  Although my surname is Miltimore, my ancestors used numerous variations, such as Miltimer, Meltimer, Miltimber, Meltimber and possibly Mortimer.  My 5th great grandfather, William, emigrated to New Hampshire in approximately 1758.  Early records in the US indicate that William's surname was spelled Miltimber, Miltimer, Miltimor and Miltimore.  I don't know why he used so many variants.  Perhaps he wasn't writing his own name.  Perhaps people writing his name for him spelled it as it sounded, which might account for the variations.  In any case, now that we know he came from Aghadowey (Rev. James McGregor's Presbyterian Church), perhaps we can learn more about him and his relatives in Aghadowey.  Seeking advice about where to look for information.  Thanks You.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Old Aghadowey Records
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 July 23 22:35 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately there are almost no records from Aghadowey Presbyterian Church for the period you are looking for.
Surviving baptisms start 1855 and marriages from 1845 (start of civil registration). Like most Ulster Presbyterian churches there are no burial records until a few years ago (in local custody and not with the church). However, there was no burial ground at the original Presbyterian Church in the townland of Canrallagh- burials would have been in places like St. Guaire's Parish Church (Church of Ireland) of the old Agivey Burying-ground but no headstones from that date.
The one old resource from Rev. McGregor's time is the old Session Book which re-surfaced in the early 1900s and is at present in the Presbyterian Historical Society, Belfast.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline JoeMiltimore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 July 23 20:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for the post.

I have some limited information from two different sources.

The first is from www.billmacafee.com.  The source document is called "Protestant Householder's Returns (1740) for County Londonderry".  It lists four people with the surname Meltimber:  James, Jn, Saml and Peat, who lived in the Barony Coleraine and the Parish Aghadowey.  The records numbers 4801, 4820, 4833 and 5099 were listed next to their names.  I am wondering what the record numbers mean and if they might refer to additional details.

The second bits of information I have are sourced from a website called "www.American Ancestors.org".  They are entries from the Session Book of Aghadowey, pages 171, 220, 221, 223.  P171 references Willm Miltimer and P220, 221 and 223 reference Jent Miltimer.

P171 is dated July 25, 1710 and pages 220, 221 and 223 are dated in 1717.

Wondering if there are more similar sources.

Thanks

Joe

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 July 23 10:28 BST (UK) »
The numbers listed on Bill Macafee's site for 1740 Protestant Householders are not in the original records (think they might be merely for putting names in listed order in Excel document). Only names are listed in original (no townlands).

Dr. Mullan's Aghadowey book has:
Muster Roll on Ironmongers' Estate (c1630)
Hearth Money Rolls for Aghadowey Parish (c1663)
Pyke's 1725 Survey- List of Tenants [Ironmongers' Co.]
Alsop's 1765 Survey- List of Tenants [Ironmongers' Co.]

No mention of any surname like Meltimber, etc. but bear in mind that not all of Aghadowey Parish came under Ironmongers' Co., some of the congregation from Aghadowey Presbyterian Church might have lived just outside the parish boundary and the above records only list head of household.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline JoeMiltimore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 July 23 14:32 BST (UK) »
Hello again.  I’m curious if these are authentic.  I understand that someone transcribed these from original handwritten documents and that sometimes some guesswork is involved.