Author Topic: Mary Ann Divine (Convict)  (Read 323 times)

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary Ann Divine (Convict)
« on: Tuesday 04 July 23 21:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone
    I am trying to find the trial records for the above!  Mary Ann Devine/Divine  was tried 8th Of January 1839 at the Glasgow Court of Justiciary for stealing from a warehouse.  She had been convicted on three other offences as well previously.

16 July she was transported to NSW on the ship "Mary Ann".  She was living at Salt Market St Glasgow with? parents William Devine and Rose/Rosie McMahon at the time of her trial. 

Mary was born in Belfast c 1819.  Seems the family moved to Glasgow and two more children? were born there possibly Agnes and Rosann. 

Any suggestions as to where to find the trial record would be great.  Many thanks Dianna

Offline Margow

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Ann Divine (Convict)
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 July 23 22:21 BST (UK) »
The National Records of Scotland in Edinburgh holds the trial records relating to Mary Divine, tried at the High Court, Glasgow on 8 January 1839, for the crime of theft, habit and repute, and previous conviction - Ref. JC26/1839/240

The trial records are not online and can be viewed only by visiting the NRS Historical Search Room.

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 July 23 23:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Margow
    Thanks very much for those details.  I will contact the NRS (as I'm in Australia) to see if I can purchase them.  Kind regards Dianna

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 July 23 23:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Neale 1961
   Hope this finds you well!  I know a lot of this has been covered but I do not have the actual court record for the "correct" Mary Devine that I have been following.

It seems by looking at the various trees on Mary (who was married to Robert Simpson here in NSW) that someone has seen the original court records!  So that is what I am trying to hunt down at the moment.

I'm hoping the email I just sent to the NRS will prove fruitful (this time!).  Kindest regards and thanks Dianna

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 04 July 23 23:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Neale 1961 Tried sending you an email to the address I have used in the past.  Bouncing back to me again.  Not to worry I don't know what goes on with my computer.  All good.  Hopefully will be able to get some assistance with the court records.  Kindest regards Dianna

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 05 July 23 03:08 BST (UK) »
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 05 July 23 03:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Thanks for the links.  Yes If I don't receive any help will have to resort to a record agent.  I've checked out a few this morning.  Kind regards Dianna

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 05 July 23 04:01 BST (UK) »
Hi
   I've looked at the links and it looks like 45 pounds to find/copy the records.  Will have to think about it as I need two records.  One for William Barclay and one for Mary.  Would love to see them though as I have never seen Scottish court records before.  Regards Dianna