Author Topic: John Westwood  (Read 357 times)

Offline ASmithy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Westwood
« on: Wednesday 05 July 23 13:40 BST (UK) »
I am having trouble locating the ancestors of John Westwood, a poisoned victim to his own wife, Sarah Parker, who was killed in 1843 within Burntwood, Staffordshire.

He seems to have been born around the 1802-1803 mark. Unfortunately, this leads me to two different parental families.

There are many trees on Ancestry that have multiple children all linking to Robert Westwood and Ann Adey. There are however other trees that link to a Thomas Westwood and Hannah Stringer. There seems to be two families and I believe I have marked them down to their own families (see below).

Thomas Westwood and Hannah Stringer who were married in 1790 within Lichfeild, Staffordshire had;
  • Ann Westwood - 1792 - Lichfield, Staffordshire
  • Mary Westwood - 1793 - Lichfield, Staffordshire
  • Hannah Westwood - 1795 - Lichfield, Staffordshire
  • Thomas Westwood - 1797 - Lichfield, Staffordshire
  • Robert Westwood - 1798 - Lichfield, Staffordshire
  • Ann Westwood - 1801 - Hammerwich, Staffordshire
  • John Westwood - 1803 - Hammerwich, Staffordshire
  • James Westwood - 1805 - Hammerwich, Staffordshire
  • Joseph Westwood  - 1809 - Hammerwich, Staffordshire

Robert Westwood and Ann Adey, who were married in 1794 in Lichfield, Staffordshire had;
  • Robert Westwood - 1795 - Lichfield, Staffordshire
  • Mary Westwood - 1797 - Lichfield, Staffordshire
  • Ann Westwood - 1799 - Hammerwich, Staffordshire
  • Thomas Westwood - 1801 - Hammerwich, Staffordshire
  • John Westwood - 1802 - Hammerwich, Staffordshire
  • Elizabeth Westwood - 1804 - Hammerwich, Staffordshire
  • William Westwood - 1806  - Hammerwich, Staffordshire
  • George Westwood - 1808  - Hammerwich, Staffordshire

*I share ThruLine matches (highlighted in red), through the Robert Westwood and Ann Adey family, however, as suggested many times by people that are interested, TruLines are only really to be used as a guide with your own research and not to be relied upon.

Whilst this would give strong support to one family, it also raises questions as to why some people who are descendants of Robert and Ann Adey are not showing up as DNA matches. (I am in communication with another member on WikiTree, who has uploaded their DNA to GedMatch)

There are other clues, however, I do not believe they have helped. This clue was Newspaper articles that mentioned John's brother, Robert Westwood who witnessed the unhealthy relationship. The reason this is unhelpful is that both families have a Robert Westwood! ::)

Any help in identifying the correct family of John Westwood who died in 1843 and married Sarah Parker would be greatly appreciated.

ADDED HINTS AT POSSIBLE CONNECTIONS FOUND BY GROUP MEMBERS.
*Highlighted in Blue, is a connection that Queenie found. The possibility of a witness to John Westwood's marriage to Sarah Parker in 1828. Hannah married Joseph Smith in 1816. Hannah and Joseph have a child called Keizah, a similar name of John's daughter.  A family name?

Offline QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: John Westwood
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 July 23 14:02 BST (UK) »
I have tried looking at his marriage record, which seems to suggest a Robert Westwood is his father.

How does his marriage record suggest this? He married in 1823, which is before civil registration and the father being included.

The witnesses are George Harrison and Hannah Smith. Both signed. I note that a Hannah Westwood married a Joseph Smith in 1816 in the same church as John and Sarah, but on this marriage record she makes her mark rather than signing, so maybe not the same woman.

However, it appears that Hannah and Joseph also had a daughter called Keziah, which was not a super common name, so maybe there is a link?

Just some thoughts.

Queenie  :)
Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 July 23 14:03 BST (UK) »
Just posting 1841 for info for those trying to help

John   Westwood   38   
Sarah   40   
Mary      17   
Charles   14   
Elizabeth   12   
Harriett   10   
Eliza      7   
Kaziah   5   
Amy      3   
John    2 months
Samuel Phillips   25   
All born Staffordshire

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ASmithy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 July 23 14:35 BST (UK) »
How does his marriage record suggest this? He married in 1823, which is before civil registration and the father being included.

Thank you for finding time to reply,

I have just had a look at where this information is, and whilst I originally had marked Robert as his father upon looking at basic information, I believe I followed through with this and had it as factual.

I apologize for making this error in my original post and thank you for questioning it. I have removed Robert as the father for the time being until I can find something more substantial to hold that claim.

Just posting 1841 for info for those trying to help

John   Westwood   38   
Sarah   40   
Mary      17   
Charles   14   
Elizabeth   12   
Harriett   10   
Eliza      7   
Kaziah   5   
Amy      3   
John    2 months
Samuel Phillips   25   
All born Staffordshire

Thank you for posting this. I have tried to look at the children, as due to the incident that occured, they must have been placed somewhere. I tried to hope that I could see where they were placed, maybe with a sibling of their fathers?

It would seem that, the 'said' children between John Westwood and Sarah Parker are;
  • Mary Westwood - 1824- Burntwood, Staffordshire
  • Charles Westwood - 1826 - Burntwood, Staffordshire
  • Elizabeth Westwood - 1829 - Burntwood, Staffordshire
  • Harriet Westwood - 1830 - Burntwood, Staffordshire
  • Eliza Westwood - 1832 - Burntwood, Staffordshire
  • Keizah Westwood - 1836 - Burntwood, Staffordshire
  • Amy Westwood - 1838 - Burntwood, Staffordshire
  • John Westwood - 1842 - Burntwood, Staffordshire

Offline ASmithy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 July 23 15:04 BST (UK) »
  • Mary Westwood - 1824- Burntwood, Staffordshire
  • Charles Westwood - 1826 - Burntwood, Staffordshire
  • Elizabeth Westwood - 1829 - Burntwood, Staffordshire
  • Harriet Westwood - 1830 - Burntwood, Staffordshire
  • Eliza Westwood - 1832 - Burntwood, Staffordshire
  • Keizah Westwood - 1836 - Burntwood, Staffordshire
  • Amy Westwood - 1838 - Burntwood, Staffordshire
  • John Westwood - 1842 - Burntwood, Staffordshire

1851 Census for the children;

Mary Westwood is married Joseph Derry in 1844. She is located living with him in Sedgley, Staffordshire. (Piece: 2030, Folio: 63, Page number: 25)

Charles Westwood is a married man to Maria Westwood in 1846. He is living in Burntwood, Staffordshire. His sister, Eliza is also at the address. (Piece: 2014, Folio: 542, Page number: 14)

Eliza Westwood is living with her brother Charles. (Piece: 2014, Folio: 542, Page number: 14)

Keizah Westwood SEEMS to be living as a lodger to Charles Hines. It seems that she is living with her sister Amy also. (Piece: 2142, Folio: 85, Page number: 33).

Amy Westwood SEEMS to be living with her sister Keizah. (Piece: 2142, Folio: 86, Page number: 34).

The children between John Westwood and Sarah Parker that I am yet to find are;
*Elizabeth Westwood
*Harriet Westwood married William Millington in 1857 in Lichfield, Staffordshire.
*John Westwood

ADDED: John died in 1842

Offline ASmithy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 July 23 21:12 BST (UK) »
I have just followed a DNA Match Lineage on their family tree as they did not have a private or public tree available. I was hoping this would lead to a connection, however, it seems that it had led me to another dead end. They and I share 14 cM over 1 Segment.

Her great-grandfather was Edmund Westwood who was born around 1874 in Lichfield, Staffordshire. He married Rachel Smith in 1894 in Lichfield.

Edmund was the son of Thomas Westwood and Emma Westwood. Thomas and Emma both married in 1854. I took note that Emma's last name was also Westwood, so also followed this. I will come back to this lineage in a little bit.

Thomas Westwood [Jnr] was born in around 1822 and is the son of Thomas Westwood [Snr] and Hannah Wall.
Thomas [Snr] and Hannah Wall married in 1821.

Thomas Westwood [Snr] was born in either 1797 or 1801.
+ If he was born in 1797, he would belong to the family mentioned above which is Thomas Westwood and Hannah Stringer.
+ If Thomas was the one born in 1801, he would belong to the second family, which was Robert Westwood and Ann Adey.

Going back to Emma Westwood mentioned above;
Emma Westwood was born in 1834 and is the daughter of Robert Westwood and Elizabeth Upton.
Robert Westwood here was born in 1795 and is the son that belongs to the family above which is Robert Westwood and Ann Adey.

Conclusion;
I do not feel that this has helped the fact that Thomas Westwood and Emma Westwood seemingly related to one another and both having potentially, Hannah Stringer and Ann Adey within their family tree also.

Offline ASmithy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 06 July 23 11:08 BST (UK) »
Sibling chase.

I have came across an early death for a John Westwood. However unsure if it is a relation.

A burial record suggests that on 4 June 1806 in Hammerwich, Staffordshire, that a John Westwood died. This record on Familysearch search suggests his birth year was also 1806. This was held at St John the Baptist in Hammerwich, Staffordshire.

I cannot see a John Westwood who was born in 1806, of course, the family might have moved to the area, but was hoping that someone might be able to help me see if it could potentially be related to either John Westwood in the family number one above or family number two above.

I have also looked at George Westwood (1808). It seems that he married Hannah Adey in 1831 within the Hammerwich area of Staffordshire. The witnesses here are Richard Wells? and Mary Ann Derry.
George and Hannah went on to have 5 children, I believe;
  • Robert Westwood - 1833 - Elford, Staffordshire
  • Henry Westwood - 1835 - Burntwood, Staffordshire
  • William Westwood - 1837 - Burntwood, Staffordshire
  • George Westwood - 1840 - Burntwood, Staffordshire
  • Alfred Westwood - 1842 - Burntwood, Staffordshire
  • Anne Westwood - 1845 - Burntwood, Staffordshire
George Westwood (1808) went on to remarry after his 1st wife's (Hannah Adey) death in 1847. George remarried Jane Bird (who was also a widow to a man called James Craddock and mother to John and Edward Craddock) in 1848 within the Burntwood area of Staffordshire.
They went on to have a child together called Jabez Westwood in 1849 however died in 1851. George's father is given as Robert Westwood. The witnesses here was Catherine Bird and William Westwood. Could this be his brother, William Westwood (1806) maybe?

Offline ASmithy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 06 July 23 14:45 BST (UK) »
Sibling Chase Part 2

Marriage information for the children of Robert Westwood and Ann Adey.
1). Robert Westwood (1795) - NOT FOUND

2). Mary Westwood (1797) - NOT FOUND

3). Ann Westwood (1799) -
  • Married John Sanders on 27 Oct 1826, in Lichfield, Staffordshire. Witnesses are; Ann Gee and George Mather
4). Thomas Westwood (1801) -
  • Married Hannah Wall in 1821, in Lichfield, Staffordshire. Witnesses are; John Wall and George Mather
5). John Westwood (1802) - INCONCLUSIVE

6). Elizabeth Westwood (1804) -
  • Married George Sanders on 24 Dec 1826, in Lichfield, Staffordshire. Witnesses are; Ann Gee and John Greatrix.
7). William Westwood (1806) - NOT FOUND

8.). George Westwood (1808) -
  • Married Hannah Adey in 1831, in Hammersmith, Staffordshire. Witnesses are; Richard Wells? and Mary Ann Derry
  • Married Jane Craddock (formally Bird) in 1848, in Lichfield, Staffordshire. Witnesses are; Cathrine Bird and William Westwood

Marriage information for the children of Thomas Westwood and Hannah Stringer.

1). Ann Westwood (1792) - NOT FOUND

2). Mary Westwood (1793) -
  • Married James Arblaster in 1820, in Lichfield, Staffordshire. Witnesses are; John Oner? and Hannah Westwood
3). Hannah Westwood (1795) -
  • Married Joseph Smith in 1816, in Lichfield, Staffordshire. Witnesses are; John Smith and Joseph Slater
4). Thomas Westwood (1797) - NOT FOUND

5). Robert Westwood (1798) -
  • Married Elizabeth Upton in 1821, in Lichfield, Staffordshire. Witnesses are; George Mather and Chad? Harrison
6). Ann Westwood (1801) -
  • Married George Phillips in 1824, in Lichfield, Staffordshire. Witnesses are; John Westwood and Alice Peploe
7). John Westwood (1803) - INCONCLUSIVE

8.). James Westwood (1805) -
  • Married Mary Derry in 1825, in Walsall, Staffordshire. Witnesses are; NOT FOUND
9). Joseph Westwood (1809) - NOT FOUND

NOTE. Upon looking at James Westwood (1805), I found that he and his family lived next door to John Westwood and Sarah Parker.